Anyone hypothyroid tried the 5:2 diet?

Hollyana
Hollyana Posts: 55 Member
Just out of interest - I've been on it for a couple of weeks and have been having some symptoms which make me slightly worried it's affecting my hormone levels. Any positive or negative experiences would be good to hear about.

Replies

• foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    What's the 5:2 diet?
  • I tried it and didnt like it. Id rather spread my weightloss deficit out then severly restrict twice a week. Just my preference.

If its done properly I have no objections to it. (Eating at Tdee 5 times a week and 500cals twice a week) however I have seen people who do 1200cals 5 times a week and 500 cals twice a week.......that would just screw with your metabolism and bein hypothyroid its already a little screwed.

I follow em2wl despite my thyroid issues. (I adjust slightly when I have a high tsh as my metabolism is probably a little slower as a result)

I have lost an average of 1lb a week for 9 months and have lost an average of .5lb the last 2 months since im gettin closer to goal.
    Lisa x.
  • Hollyana
    Hollyana Posts: 55 Member
    Hmm I might look into that. I'm happy on the 5:2 - it doesn't feel like you're on a diet most of the time, which I prefer to counting calories every day, and it's refreshing to remind yourself that you can skip a meal and won't collapse from starvation!! I think you're right about keeping the cals up on 'normal' days though.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    It has been suggested that a daily form of intermittent fasting such as 14:10 or 16:8 may be easier for women than fasts of longer duration. Apparently many women run into hormone problems during extended fasts. I started 16:8 a month or so ago, and do not notice any huge hormone problems. Well, I always have hormone problems...but not worsened by the 16:8 protocol! Good luck to you!
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    I've been doing the 5:2 for a while now and I like it. I eat my normal calories during the weekdays (1450 or close to it) and then Sat & Sun I eat around 700-800 calories each day. I've been steadily losing at least 2lbs each week since I started. I feel quite fine, I haven't noticed any extra thyroid symptoms.