• Working2BBetter
    Working2BBetter Posts: 219 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ltu84eee44k8.jpeg

• Working2BBetter
    Working2BBetter Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I’ve been intermittent fasting for 4 1/2 years. I do the 5/2 way though.... Monday’s and Thursday’s limit calories to 500. This works for me, though I find my body has become used to it now, so it does nothing for weight loss.... it did in the beginning. I do however feel greater mental clarity on fast days. I’m contemplating trying 16/8 as welll....
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    No I do not fast. I go to bed too late and wake up too early in the morning for it to work for me. When I was in college, I would sleep in until like noon some days and that made it much easier.
  • invitedchaos
    invitedchaos Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I sometimes fast when I feel like I'm fixating too much on food, depriving myself and feeling unsatisfied. I've gone as many as 4+ days on just water, but more for spiritual reasons than weight-loss. I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis, because your body goes into conservation mode after a couple days and it won't help you burn the reserves you have. But if I'm going to do a regular light-calorie day, like the 2 in the 5/2, I always start early to make sure I'm not letting my metabolism hit the snooze button from the night before rather than skipping breakfast entirely.

Fun fact: all you need to start your metabolism in the morning is 7 almonds. Not enough to be a meal that makes you hungry when it's gone, but just enough to start the day!
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I don't fast as such but I don't usually eat after 8 at night (I usually go to bed around 10 so don't like eating in the couple of hours before I try and sleep or I get heartburn). So if you count the 12 hours between 8 pm and 8 am as a fast then I guess I do it inadvertently? I'm the sort of person that does better spreading my calories over a series of low calorie meals and snacks, I get REALLLYYY hungry if I try and fast (I usually eat every 2 hours)
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
  • Mely76
    Mely76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started IF. I start my fast at 6pm. I workout the next morning (fasted). Then eat at 10:00am. (16:8). 1200 Calories.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't call it fasting but I guess so- I skip breakfast often because I get busy or the idea of food makes me a little sick. I'll go about 16 or so hours between dinner/dessert and the next day's lunch. If I do small meals or graze, i end up overeating.
  • MzKrystle
    MzKrystle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Love it. I started in Aug and was doing it consistently until mid November. I lost 15 pounds. I stuck to 1200-1400 calories and I also cut out dairy and grains. My weight it creeping back up so I'm back to IF starting TODAY. My eating window is 11:00-7:00. I also have wine at night. :)
  • ravendorfangirl
    ravendorfangirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fasting does the exact opposite you what you want it to unfortunately. :/

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/is_fasting_healthy

It slows your metabolism. I tried it for 48 hours and gained 2.5 pounds throughout the next week.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I don't do it intentionally, but I usually don't eat until 11-12 for lunch after my workout, and stop eating around 5-7 PM. I do have coffee with a tiny bit of milk in the morning, and water throughout the day.

My husband does IF from 12-8 PM every day, and it helps him stay on track. :)
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Fasting is not for me.
  • Cabrinii
    Cabrinii Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I fast by drinking water before getting my blood work done before my doctor's appointment. It's required by my doctor to fast the night before doing my blood work.