Is it happening? No - it's never going to happen.

Options
richb178
richb178 Posts: 47 Member
Well, never say never, but ...

So Dr. Oz said something positive about a ketogenic diet. He's said it before and he'll say it again, and people will continue to not hear.

In the modern era, since the government released its misguided nutrition and sodium guidelines, I believe Dr. Atkins was the first to go against those guidelines and promote a low carb diet about 45 years ago. He promoted low total carbs from vegetables and limited fruit and nuts, and protein and liberal use of fats to feel sated and eat less. He's still thought of as a kook who said just eat all the bacon and steak you want - even from some people promoting a low carb diet. I just checked wikipedia to confirm the date, and they still say it was a fad diet that has no evidence of working. No, people would rather make fun of LCHF then use reason and study the evidence that it works.

You can tell people about the benefits of a LCHF diet, and they will call you crazy and a fool to your face; they will not listen. Show me some peer reviewed studies they will say, but most of the peers doing the reviewing think it's crazy and they will ignore them. I've heard of peer reviewed publications refusing to publish positive LCHF articles for many years, or refusing altogether, because they think the researchers are lying. Sometimes people don't even get a chance to listen.

I don't see widespread acceptance and promotion of a LCHF way of eating until three things happen: 1) the government will need to release new dietary guidelines; 2) doctors & nutritionists will need to forget what they've learned in the past and accept and promote the new guidelines; and 3) the media and schools will need to promote LCHF in a serious way. If those things happen, then perhaps people will finally start to hear.

But I don't think that will ever happen - just think of the consequences. What happens to the economy when big sugar, big wheat, big soda, big processed foods, big fast food, and big whatever else suddenly find no market for their wares? And what if all people started eating LCHF, except for the kooks, and they lose weight, cure their T2D, get and stay in shape, and have improved health markers up and down the line? What happens to big pharma and big healthcare? The entire economy would come crashing down and take years, if not decades, to switch over and recover - and no politician is going to allow that to happen, even if it saves the lives of millions and trillions of dollars.

There may be a slim chance of a grass roots LCHF diet revolution taking place, one person at a time, until people finally open their minds to a different way of eating; but don't expect the government, most doctors, and the media to stop calling them kooks until they have to accept the facts. That might even allow for a slow switch-over of the economy from supporting HCLF, to both HCLF and LCHF, to finally concentrating on LCHF. That still won't help big sugar, big wheat, and big healthcare, but it offers hope for the rest of the economy to adapt.

/rant

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I'm guessing that the market will lead the popular mind-shift, the potential mass-market revenue from "personalized" nutrition, health, and wellness being enormous.

There are other economic interests besides food that may stand to benefit from healthier, more engaged populations (medical technology, insurance, reinsurance.... government health care systems).

But, yeah, it won't happen by Leap Day!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Big farms like Dole are starting to grow organic because there is a huge demand and money to be made, the same will happen when LCHF foods increase in demand, those same big wheat/sugar/etc companies will come out with LCHF foods to keep making money as the market shifts. Many of them have already started shifting production with a focus on gluten-free products because there is increasing demand. They didn't stay in business this long by failing to meet the market demands, they will adapt, it will not crash the economy.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    What will happen to organic "standards," such as they are, is another matter...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I think big corps. will join the high fat movement. But they will use so called "healthy fats" like canola, corn oil, soybean oil, and others that I try to avoid like the plague. They will screw it up just like they did low fat, by adding every cheap source of sweetener they could.

I have to make all my own salad dressing, because I can't easily find a commercially produced one without some oil I really don't want in my body.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    We might also expect to see "organic" vegetables sweeter than the world has ever tasted (and which requires no added sugar in order to resemble frosted flakes...). E'er the optimist!