Newbie fitness question

Options
Chillycatmum
Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
I am about to embark on improving my fitness now I have got my diet part under control - I am very interested in resistance training and weights and have signed up to a local Gym, I really want to tone my muscles up as I continue to lose weight, is there any tips out there for me starting out.

I still have a lot of weight to lose (over 100lbs) but really want to try to minimise any sagging skin issues

Replies

• Chillycatmum
    Options
    Fantastic advice thank you - I am looking forward to learning how to lift properly as cardio bores me silly but I enjoyed weights the last time I tried (which was ages ago) I will definitely follow your suggestions
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you're lucky, your gym will offer personal training, either as part of your membership or with an additional hourly fee. Even if it isn't free, two or three sessions are a sound investment. Proper form is critical and a good trainer can get you off to an injury free start. For some of us, free weights are a back ache waiting to happen.

Of course, you may be unlucky if your gym offers free personal training and the personal trainer spends most of his time staring over your shoulder at other (younger, better looking) gym members. Not that I'm bitter or anything.
  • Chillycatmum
    Options
    Had my induction today which was great and I am having a 1-1 session with one of the trainers tomorrow to set me up a programme - so will be all set up to get going - thanks for your advice
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Good luck and congrats on your journey. I have tried a few personal trainers with mixed results. My current one is my fave and I have been w her for years because she challenges me but respects my "issues" (destroyed my leg in 2001 and still have pain and mobility issues). Also she never saw me as a fat, older woman but someone with potential and a desire to be my best. Finding a good fit with a trainer makes the process much easier and a lot more fun. Ditto for a yoga instructor which I also highly recommend.
  • Chillycatmum
    Options
    The lady I am having do my 1-1 tomorrow was the same lady who did my induction today and she seemed fab, totally understood what I wanted out of the sessions and I think will help me design the right programme for me
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have no advice. I just wanted to say good luck with the trainer.

And also, don't push to hard compared to others' lifting. If you are starting with an extra 100lbs on you, that is a lot of resistance work just in and of itself. I would listen to my body if I was walking/training with a 100lbs pack on. KWIM? You are already doing more than most people at that gym. :);)
  • Chillycatmum
    Options
    I had a great session today, the lady was very thorough and we have worked out what looks like a good routine and the great thing with this Gym is they give you a follow up every 4 weeks as part of your membership so we can tweak the programme as I get better at everything
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Best advice I could ever give anyone: squat, bench, deadlift, 5-8 rep range, find a decently structured program that involves those, and you'll be good to go.

Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews is a good one, as are Starting Strength and GreySkull.

I'd recommend anyone new to lifting read SS, even if they use a different program. There's an absurd wealth of knowledge in there that will apply to any strength training in general.