Sugar content in ISOFLEX protein ?

Options
melluc2
melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
I like protein powder for a variety of reasons: an easy way to slap some protein in if on the run, baking or a delicious little drink. But, it's hard to find the right one! I was told to try this one out because it only has 1g of carbs, however, it's sweetened with Acesulfame Potassium and Sucralose. Has anyone had any experience with this one? Does anyone else like to use protein powders?

This is the brand I was told to try:

http://www.allmaxnutrition.com/products-type/isoflex/

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any info on this?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about Acesulfame Potassium, but Sucralose (Splenda) is used in a lot of things. Personally, I've never had an issue with it. It is sugar, but the chemical composition has been slightly altered so that we cannot absorb it. Also, it is supposedly sweeter than sugar.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Ace K is one of the lesser preferred sweeteners. I personally don't like powdered sucralose in any form...generally there is some kind of filler or bulking agent. In liquid form, I didn't note any side effects. Both trigger excess hunger for me - and sometimes headaches. I try to stick to Stevia, Erythritol, and Xylitol. Sometimes Monk Fruit...Lucuma Powder is supposed to be okay, and Yacon syrup.

But this is a very N=1 thing. If it works for you and allows you to be compliant, then it is worth it...

However, for me, personally, I tend to run screaming in the opposite direction from anything that says "NATURAL" or "ARTIFICIAL" flavors! That's a huge red flag for me that they're hiding something. It could be ANYTHING... MSG, a less than stellar additive, etc. That is a giant rug under which they sweep the things they don't want you to know about. For me, things that are listed as low carb/zero carb and then "natural flavors" tend to be things that trigger random migraines for me (I only have had ocular migraines in the past, so the instant torture was scary to me)...