Ketostick Colors and Fat Burning

Options
Reinventing_Me
Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
Hey y'all! *waves* I have read that it doesn't matter what color pink the ketostick turns; as long as it turns you're using fat as fuel. But I was wondering do you notice whether or not you burn more fat (lose more weight) if/when your ketones levels are higher? I tested in the moderate range this morning and (while I'm not expecting to lose 5 lbs overnight), I am wondering what you all have experienced.

Replies

• thews300
    thews300 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have urine strips and a blood test kit with blood test strips for ketosis.

I have noted the following:
    My energy levels when in a lower keto range is quite normal. I am happy to wake up in the morning, I have breakfast, and I feel... you know... awake. Even.

When I am in the 2.5-3.5 range, I still feel about the same. (on a urine stick)

I do feel like I have MORE energy when I've tested and i've been 4.5+.
    Noting, that urine ketones are hours behind reality.
    Also noting, 90% of the time those numbers hit, i'm at the gym. SO I can't say it's causative in the aspect of ketone to energy rather than i'd be more likely to postulate that it is the more energy you spend, the higher your ketones. My ketones. Whatever.

As for your question specifically:
    Every scientific document / research I've read says there is nominal difference in fat burning as long as you are ketogenic. Though nominal can make a world of difference in my opinion.
    The caution is that going too deep into ketosis will cause ketoacidosis, and you don't want that.

• deliriousaddiction
    Options
    I've heard that Ketostix are great if you are getting started, but aren't very effective if you've been in ketosis for a while. The best testing method is through a ketone blood meter. Afterall, urine ketones are being excreted not used. So the number can be small or large and still mean you are in ketosis.