Just got the book

Options
MrsLannister
MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
I just got the book today. I'm still reading the intro. I tried the test exercises and could definitely feel the glutes working. I couldn't do the single-leg glute bridge, though. I guess I'm just not strong enough, yet. When I could get my hips up I felt the work in my back and it made my spine ache.

Replies

• MrsLannister
    Options
    Did my first day today. It was a bit awkward. I started with the warm up, which is a bit of a workout at 309 lbs. I did all of the exercises for week 1 workout A expect the side plank. I tried, but I don't have the strength to get my hips off the mat. I'll need to look in the back of the book and find a substitute. I also did a modified front plank.

I was not at all sore afterwards, so I know I didn't push myself enough. I was just trying to learn the exercises and get over my insecurity. I'll start pushing myself more tomorrow.
  • MrsLannister
    Options
    So, yesterday I said I didn't have pain. Well, today I woke up with a lot more pain (but certainly not unmanageable). Problem is, it's in the wing place. The front is my legs are really sore. My glutes are only a little achey. No pain in abs or upper body.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great. Don't worry too much about getting sore at this point, learning proper form is key! Also you can do some glute activation daily at home (before bed, in the morning, etc) and over time you will start to feel your glutes firing. It does take time though, so no worries if you don't feel it at this point.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Play around a bit with your feet position too during the exercises. I am naturally very quad dominant so my thighs like to take over and do the work! I found that moving my feet further away from me during exercises like the glute bridge (and later the hip thrusts) and flexing them rather than having them flat forced my glutes to work more as my quads could no longer take the load. Give it a go and see how you feel.
  • MrsLannister
    Options
    Yesterday I did day two and pushed a little harder. I'm more sore today, but still a lot of the soreness is the front of my thighs. I'll try your guys' suggestions. I did Zumba after strength training and was surprised I still had the energy to get through the full hour with a fairly difficult instructor.