Staying Motivated with Painfully Slow Results

Options
I'm 69 and so out of shape that I've had to work slowly at increasing my steps. If I don't, I'm on hot packs all night. Embarrassing to admit that I've neglected myself for so long. It's hard but I've increased my steps from 800-1500 to a goal of 4,000 now. Most of the week I hit that, but my last weigh-in showed only a .2 pound loss. I'm trying not to be disappointed because I couldn't lose 1/100 of a pound for four years. At least I'm losing, I tell myself. Maybe it's okay to be happy about the loss (total almost 5 pounds!) and still let the disappointment challenge me to step it up a little more. How do you stay whole-heartedly motivated?

Replies

• 2tall4thisworld
    2tall4thisworld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @HarvestSue2 What a great question! And congratulations on all of the hard work you've put in. It can be really tough to not see results on the scale for a long time like that. Don't lose hope. I'm sure there are other non scale victories you may not be able to see, but you can feel! Do you find that you have more energy? Are you sleeping better through the night? Do your clothes fit any differently? Those are usually the things I notice before the scale starts to change. Making the decision to be healthy is such a huge accomplishment in it of itself. :smile:

Being a part of this group, especially the Accountability discussions has really helped me stay on track. Talking/writing about my goals also helps me remember what and why I'm working on this.

Keep it up! You're doing great!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I'm trying not to be disappointed because I couldn't lose 1/100 of a pound for four years. At least I'm losing, I tell myself. Maybe it's okay to be happy about the loss (total almost 5 pounds!) and still let the disappointment challenge me to step it up a little more. How do you stay whole-heartedly motivated?

Most weight loss is the result of calorie reduction not exercise. Are you eating to create a sufficient deficit?

My motivation waxes and wanes.
  • LizbethHeller
    LizbethHeller Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I really like what 2tall said about non-weight goals. You have increased your steps! You're up to 4000 now! From what you say, that's twice as far as you could walk before! That's amazing!! Next stage, 5000.... and beyond. I would look at the weight loss as secondary, and look at being able to get out and do things and enjoy life as primary. Find something that you like to do. Maybe find a walking group in your area with people you like to be with. Maybe just find some tunes you like to listen to and go around your neighborhood. How about a Silver Sneakers program at a local health club... I ran into some ladies where I go who are very enthused with their class!

At any rate, you deserve all the credit in the world for starting. Best of luck to you! (And btw, 5 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. In my 45 day 'streak' here, I've only lost 7!)
  • OvercomerJudith
    OvercomerJudith Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm so new to the community part of MFP that I didn't see these comments until today! But they are just when I needed them. How can any of us succeed without encouragement? Thank you, everybody, for taking time to lift me up. By God's grace, I made it over that hump and am still losing slowly but steadily. It is amazing. You have all helped me refocus on finding the victories and moving my body certainly is. My new goal is 5,000 steps. Sometimes I get it and sometimes not, but as you said, after all those years of sitting, I'll celebrate anyway for a while!
  • OvercomerJudith
    OvercomerJudith Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »

Most weight loss is the result of calorie reduction not exercise. Are you eating to create a sufficient deficit?

My motivation waxes and wanes.

Thx, Verdenal. My calorie intake is 1,200 and I don't want to go lower. So I'm gradually upping my steps and speed, which I have neglected for many years. I'll get there! Am feeling better about it all. I just hit an emotional speed bump and all the encouragement really helps. What I hear you saying is we do it, motivated or not, right? Good word.