Anyone premenopausal here?

Options
124»

Replies

• lnicks1
    lnicks1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's just calories in, calories out, right? :laugh: Sorry, couldn't resist. Doesn't it make you nuts when folks on the boards say that?
    I feel your pain. This blows.
    I read A LOT on the subjects of nutrition, diet, etc. I've actually read some of the diet books folks (who clearly have never read them) mock on the main boards.
    Anyway, I read Gary Taubes: why we get fat and what to do about it. He has an interesting theory that suggests something to the effect of: our various hormones (including insulin etc.) actually cause the weight gain. He suggests that when your hormones are jacked, your body will respond by changing your weight.
    Or something to that effect (it was a library book, so I don't have it with me). He says that it's not that we overeat when we go on the pill etc. but rather our body responds to the hormonal situation it's in (thinking it's pregnant, in this case).
    If we also believe (I do) that the shift in hormones at menopause can cause a kind of insulin resistance, then it makes sense that we gain weight like ladies with PCOS and diabetics do.
    And that pretty much blows.
    I'm just trying to figure out how to undo it!
    I'm not saying this well, at all, from memory, but that's the gist: we KNOW it's not calories in/calories out.
    I wish I could have predicted when peri would hit and gotten really skinny first lol.

Couldn't agree more. It's just SO not calories in and out. I got to my ideal weight last year and now that I look back on it, I was starting to have the peri-menopause symptoms then, but I didn't realise.

This year I've put on weight, been SUPER exhausted (I thought it was over-training at first), been sick, not sleeping, going to the toilet all the time, periods got closer to 21 days and then started getting longer, haven't had one for about 3 months now. Anyway, went to the doctor and had a gazillion blood tests and my hormones are just all over the place.

"It's all part of life" my doctor tells me... Well it sux!! LOL!!

Anyway, I've read a lot too, and now deciding to go down the predominately grain free /gluten free route and keep my diet to mostly fresh food and see if I can get back on track.

The worst part is not sleeping. Sleep deprivation is a nightmare and without sleep all good intentions go out the window.

So to EVERYONE in this group - hang in there! We will find a way through!!
  • lnicks1
    lnicks1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have been battling lack of sleep for about a year. Nyquil, benadryl, sleeping pills...nothing works. I work out at least 3 times a week and no sleep does not help my workouts. It also makes focusing at work difficult. About 4 months ago i noticed My mid section getting thicker. I gained 5 pounds in the past couple of months...all in the mid-section. I have only had a couple of hot flashes, but night sweats are common.
    I am going to see my doctor next week. The last time we spoke she mentioned Premarin but I have heard horror stories. Anyone here try that hormone pill?
  • iasue
    iasue Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I definitely belong here. I am 48 and have had perimenopausal symptoms for the past year I think. Mood swings like crazy, my depression took a nose dive down and I ended up having to switch medications. I also had to go off the Nuva Ring because of high blood pressure, so that attributed to weight gain, along with the horrid mood swings and everything else that goes with it.

Periods are irregular, but when I do get them, I notice that they are much more painful - the worst cramping I have ever had. My breasts are much more sore than before too and I notice a water retention like no other. In the past 2 years I have gained about 30-40 pounds that I am trying to get off and its been a battle. I go up and down 5 pounds but can not get this weight off. I am at my wits end about it.

I am wondering too about the Estroven Weight Management and wondering if that will help. I had my doctor change me from Lexapro to Wellbutrin because I knew that was part of a culprit in the weight gain, but so far it hasn't helped me lose any weight, just keep any more from getting on.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Me too! I turned 50 in Jan, had my throid removed in Feb due to nodules. Night sweats like crazy this winter, no period for the past two months (have already been very regular) and now I can cry if I look at water! I am interested in hormone theraphy and bio-identical progesterone but need to get more info before deciding.

What a crazy journey. I really need to figure out this mood-thing though since my youngest will be heading to college in the fall, not far away but still, many emotions to deal with. My second oldest struggles with anxiety and depression and I am his go-to parent to call.

I agree, I should have lost more weight five years ago and then maybe my muffin top wouldn't be as annoying!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Me too! I turned 50 in Jan, had my thyroid removed in Feb due to nodules. Night sweats like crazy this winter, no period for the past two months (have always been very regular) and now I can cry if I look at water! I am interested in hormone theraphy and bio-identical progesterone but need to get more info before deciding.

What a crazy journey. I really need to figure out this mood-thing though since my youngest will be heading to college in the fall, not far away but still, many emotions to deal with. My second oldest struggles with anxiety and depression and I am his go-to parent to call.

I agree, I should have lost more weight five years ago and then maybe my muffin top wouldn't be as annoying!
    [edited for spelling!]
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've just turned 54, I've been on the Depo Provera jab for quite a few years so I've had no periods and, tbh, hardly any menopausal symptoms - at least I don't think I have! Bit hot sometimes during the night, but nothing unbearable. But now I've been told I have to come off the jabs and I'm really not relishing the idea. I'm going to make an appointment to see the doctor and get some advice about what to expect and what I can do, if I need to do anything. But has anyone here already made, or started on this same journey as me? Any advice or just what happened/is happening to you would be welcome :smile:
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed as premenopausal last year and after struggling with the depression and crashing fatigue for about six months I was put on HRT patches to help with the symptoms. Anger is much better, irritability worse, hot flushes and fatigue practically gone. But from being diagnosed I put on 21lbs which I am really struggling to lose.

Tried the protein only diets and everything else but nothing works for me anymore. MFP and starting insanity next week as a last ditch attempt. Getting married in 7 months and would love to be back to my fighting weight on my wedding day.
    It's just calories in, calories out, right? :laugh: Sorry, couldn't resist. Doesn't it make you nuts when folks on the boards say that?
    I read A LOT on the subjects of nutrition, diet, etc. I've actually read some of the diet books folks (who clearly have never read them) mock on the main boards.
    Anyway, I read Gary Taubes: why we get fat and what to do about it. He has an interesting theory that suggests something to the effect of: our various hormones (including insulin etc.) actually cause the weight gain. He suggests that when your hormones are jacked, your body will respond by changing your weight.
    Or something to that effect (it was a library book, so I don't have it with me). He says that it's not that we overeat when we go on the pill etc. but rather our body responds to the hormonal situation it's in (thinking it's pregnant, in this case).
    If we also believe (I do) that the shift in hormones at menopause can cause a kind of insulin resistance, then it makes sense that we gain weight like ladies with PCOS and diabetics do.
    I'm not saying this well, at all, from memory, but that's the gist: we KNOW it's not calories in/calories out.
    I wish I could have predicted when peri would hit and gotten really skinny first lol.

For some of us, even those of us with insulin resistance and other factors working against us, it is about calories in vs. calories out.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I agree calories in calories out!

I know for me that it's the type of calories that I put in that matter. If I stick to limited whole grains, fruits, veggies and proteins and no processed foods that my body works optimally! Easier said than done!

This past week after being diagnosed with odenomyosis I have given up coffee, my beloved wine and I am trying to eat whole foods. Caffeine and alcohol are stressors on the adrenal system.

My Dr. has referred me to a gyno and until I get an appointment I am trying to do whatever I can to improve my wellness.

I have started acupuncture treatment for my issues in Ladytown and that has given me the motivation to try and eat as I mentioned above. I also made an appointment with a Natural Path Dr. to see what she will recommend.

Instead of feeling down about myself and the size of my lower abdomen I am trying to be kind to myself and exercising without pushing myself to my limits.

That's my plan for the coming weeks, until the hormones shift again and the battle continues.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed as premenopausal last year and after struggling with the depression and crashing fatigue for about six months I was put on HRT patches to help with the symptoms. Anger is much better, irritability worse, hot flushes and fatigue practically gone. But from being diagnosed I put on 21lbs which I am really struggling to lose.

Tried the protein only diets and everything else but nothing works for me anymore. MFP and starting insanity next week as a last ditch attempt. Getting married in 7 months and would love to be back to my fighting weight on my wedding day.

For some of us, even those of us with insulin resistance and other factors working against us, it is about calories in vs. calories out.
    Great!