Bloat and Sleep

Options
So I haven't been sleeping well the past three nights, probably around 4-5 hours worth. And I woke up this morning feeling especially puffy. Stepped on the scale and yup, weight gain. Almost 2 pounds worth. Anyone have any experiences with lack of sleep and water retention? Everything else has been predominantly the same, water intake, sodium intake. Well... that's not entirely true. Starting two days ago, I added a teaspoon of Braggs Liquid Aminos. I had a problem with soy sauce in the past and stayed away. Could it be the aminos causing the bloat or the lack of sleep? Any insight is welcomed!

Replies

• Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have been having a similar problem this week. I assumed it was heat related though, both the lack of sleep and water retention, but I'm really not sure (its been hot and humid this week.) Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject can help out.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Full moon?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I am never at my slimmest when short on sleep. I lose the puffiness only when I have caught up after several days of 4-6 hours. (After I've slept 10 or so, :o )
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott Sure, lets go with full moon - lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I can wake up almost 2 pounds lighter if I sleep AT LEAST 8 hours versus my usual 6 hour average. Our bodies burn, process, and release fat while we sleep (through sweat, carbon dioxide, and many other forms)... Sleep is as important as food intake... Just 2-3 days of less sleep creates a level of insulin resistance in the body....

As for the bloat/aminos/lack of sleep situation, I really don't know... Might be the form of sodium in the aminos? Creating some kind of reaction? Sleep quality comes and goes for me...
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Sleep can definitely cause havoc on the scale. I've seen it go up and down for me depending on the week and events causing lack of sleep. I would definitely just try to get your sleep back on track as soon as possible and see how the scale acts. Maybe then try the aminos again?

BTW - I tend to use this as a soy sauce substitue (though it does have a bit more of a sweet taste compared to soy sauce): https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/leslie-organics-coconut-aminos-raw-8-oz/ls-1031?mr:trackingCode=640D5D84-C9E0-E511-80ED-00505694403D&mr:referralID=NA&sourceType=sc&source=BPA&acqsource=adlucent&utm_source=BingProductAds&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Coconut Secret&utm_content=LS-1031&utm_term=1100202986573

When I feel bloated (usually from eating something I shouldn't) - I rub orange essential oil on my tummy and pop a probiotic. I usually do it the night before when I already know I'm going to feel that way in the morning. And it works like a charm.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @esjones12 - Do you do the orange EO straight or cut it with a carrier? Because my guy would do that, but he's pill/medication abhorrent, so he hates taking them and will be miserable rather than take a pill...but he's okay with essential oils!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @esjones12 - Do you do the orange EO straight or cut it with a carrier? Because my guy would do that, but he's pill/medication abhorrent, so he hates taking them and will be miserable rather than take a pill...but he's okay with essential oils!

@KnitOrMiss - I personally of not use a carrier oil for it. I always recommend trying a small spot or using a carrier oil at first to see if you get a reaction. Also remember that orange is a citrus oil and is therefore photosensitive and you shouldn't apply it on any skin that will be exposed to the sun within the next 24 hours. And definitely only use 100% therapeutic grade oils! If he's not a fan of Orange, there are other oils that can also help with bloating. I love Orange, it's one of the cheaper oils, and it works great for me in this instance so that's why I use it for this!

I've replaced all sorts of pills, creams, and toxic products in my life with essential oils. I absolutely love them :)
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Wait, I am having a similar problem with water retention and feeling horribly puffy and weight loss stalled. Thats a new thing for me since starting keto. I just introduced a little stevia and cut back on my fats a little. But all other foods are the same. Today I am "starting over" by taking out the stevia and going back to where my fats were.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I retain water and get puffy when I have too little sodium.

I also do when something triggers my thyroid function to depress a little... But it's like 10:1 in favor of too little sodium being the cause. Definitely worth checking out.

Ironically, with my digestive problems, I don't bloat. I auto-eject. But digestive enzymes might help, too...