Need help! Keto and HIT workouts

Options
Phanny24
Phanny24 Posts: 23 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
Hello everyone...I just started the Keto diet this week. I take classes at the gym 3 times a week. They include high intensity routines. I started logging in my food on this app yesterday. I couldn't find a way to replace the calories I burned at the gym and by the end of the night I started feeling faint and seeing flashing dots and got a bad migraine that has carried over into today. Not sure if this is related to not having enough calories plus the workout? I ate breakfast early then had a snack around 10am, protein shake at 11:30am then workout from 12-1pm and ate lunch lateclose to 3pm as I got busy once I got back to work. Maybe I waited too long to eat after working out and that caused the symptoms? What quick snacks do you guys use to pack on calories without adding carbs? Any tips for eating before/after working out?

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Sounds like symptoms of electrolyte deficiency. All low-carbers have a biologically increased need for sodium to keep the electrolytes in balance. Try making sure to get a good salty shot (via salty broth or homemade gatorade. Reg gatorade has very little actual electrolytes in it. It's just expensive sweet water.) 30 min before your workout. And make sure daily you are getting at least 3000mg.

Ketoade:
    12-16oz water
    water flavoring (like Mio)
    1/4tsp salt
    2 shakes potassium salt (if you think your potassium level might be low)
    Mix
    Chug

At least once daily and maybe twice if you are active or you aren't otherwise getting 3000mg-5000mg of sodium daily.

So much this!
  • Phanny24
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try!
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Sounds like symptoms of electrolyte deficiency. All low-carbers have a biologically increased need for sodium to keep the electrolytes in balance. Try making sure to get a good salty shot (via salty broth or homemade gatorade. Reg gatorade has very little actual electrolytes in it. It's just expensive sweet water.) 30 min before your workout. And make sure daily you are getting at least 3000mg.

Ketoade:
    12-16oz water
    water flavoring (like Mio)
    1/4tsp salt
    2 shakes potassium salt (if you think your potassium level might be low)
    Mix
    Chug

At least once daily and maybe twice if you are active or you aren't otherwise getting 3000mg-5000mg of sodium daily.

@baconslave Thanks for the recipe. I have a question in regards to sodium and carb levels. My carbs can range any where from 25 to 75. At what carb level does one not need to worry about adding more sodium? Thanks for the help.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Good question. I've been anywhere from 15g to 140g. Always needed sodium while low-carb. However, those in ketosis for sure definitely need between 3000mg to 5000mg. More mod-carb, I did well just hitting close to the 3000mg. I do exercise a lot. Every now and again I needed an electrolyte hit.

Lately I've been trying to see if my autoimmune disease symptoms would allow me to get closer to keto again, so I've been doing 50g net or there abouts. So 50-75ish grams. I definitely need over 3000mg. It's quite clear.

Your exact perfect number is a YMMV varying based upon your carb level, your personal DNA, and your activity level. I have experienced, and many others have also, a slight decreased need over time. For example, someone who absolutely must have closer to 5000mg to function in keto, finds that once they are fat adapted for several months that they finally do just find at 3000 or 4000mg instead. Not everyone is that lucky, but many, including myself have found that the case.

If I were you, I'd do my best to hit 3000mg. It's just a good round number that makes sure your other electrolytes are well preserved. If you find that lacking for you, then you can up it. IMO, it's best to err on the side of caution. Retain a little bit of extra water vs. lightheadedness/dizziness, nausea, fatigue, headache, and etc. Use your symptoms, or lack thereof, as a sign to which side of that minimum you need stay on. We are riding the fence here. :wink: Coming from a person who's body refuses to make enough moisture regardless of how many carbs or sodium she takes in, a little extra water isn't that big a deal. So bear that in mind when listen to me talk about water retention. :lol:

The biggest thing I'm struggling with right now is the increase in orthostatic hypotension (low-blood pressure upon standing. Especially in my case from a crouch.) *rollingdemeyes* Highly annoying. I'm still trying to find my happy spot there.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm not into HIIT but I've pretty much become dedicated to getting in about a half teaspoon of salt in before I go out for a brisk walk on a hot 90 degree day. It's either that or chew on a boullion cube that I've stuck in my backpack for my walks.

I wouldn't rule out the "too few calories" that you mentioned in your original post either. Food is fuel but it sounds like you know that.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    @baconslave Very much obliged. Good point about watching my other electrolytes. I really haven't been doing this and will start.

Did not know of orthostatic hypotension. That's gotta be tough. Sending you hugs and hoping you beat these health demons.
  • Phanny24
    Options
    @kpk54 thanks for replying...what type of salt do you use other then the bullion cube lol I only have sea salt at home I'm going to try the keto "Gatorade" another person suggested...according to my log I had over 3000mg of sodium but doesn't feel like enough and I'm sure I need to eat more but i feel like I'm eating all day idk what other foods to add to my day.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to raise calories without increasing carbs? Any type of snack bars or things of that nature that I can get for a quick snack? My go to is usually cereal or belvita bars which are a no go right now lol
  • damorere
    damorere Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do both sprint intervals and HIIT and agree about both hydration and electrolytes. Small single serve cheese snacks provide both calories and salt and do fine in your bag if you don't leave them for days on end. Meat sticks are another option. Also salted nuts and seeds. Look for something with a little protein, some fat, and as few carbs as possible.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 thanks for replying...what type of salt do you use other then the bullion cube lol I only have sea salt at home I'm going to try the keto "Gatorade" another person suggested...according to my log I had over 3000mg of sodium but doesn't feel like enough and I'm sure I need to eat more but i feel like I'm eating all day idk what other foods to add to my day.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to raise calories without increasing carbs? Any type of snack bars or things of that nature that I can get for a quick snack? My go to is usually cereal or belvita bars which are a no go right now lol

Eat more meat? Or add extra fat to things you already eat?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @grullonstephannie, I keep things pretty simple-plain old table salt or sea salt and I usually just pour it in my hand and give it a big lick then wash it down with whatever is handy. I'm not a fan of salty drinks.

Seeds for calories. I eat pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds mostly. Nuts. Cheese.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

Cheese sticks, baked cheese crips, hard-boiled eggs, jerky (watch for hidden sugars/carbs though), pepperoni, salami, bacon, pork rinds, other sliced lunch-meats, etc.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you want to add simple calories & salt, those little butter tubs (for muffins at cafes) and a couple salt packets from take-away are awful handy to stash in your gym bag or purse. This is my go-to if I am doing IF but feeling a bit 'peckish.'