Stroke

Options
Today has been a whirlwind. I'm sitting in the hospital room with my husband and father in law. My father in law was admitted at midnight last night because of a stroke. We're still waiting on the results of the MRI. But the CT scan and ultrasound of the heart and throat came back normal. They're calling it a TIA. And they gave us this sheet on how to lower your chances of another stroke and it explicitly states to eat a low cholesterol diet and my mind is just blown. These are recommendations from the hospital!!! From doctors!!!! Sick people go to these professionals for advice!!! Seeking help and the professionals are promoting a low fat low cholesterol diet, cooking with canola oil, I just can't believe it. I'm sitting here enraged. My in laws are obviously going to follow these recommendations because why would they listen to me? See the picture attached please.l3uexq8hgnlb.jpg

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear. Hopefully all will turn out ok. It can be a lot of worry always fearing it will happen again and be worse-if he's ok from this one. Is he talking and such?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    :( I hope your father in law recovers well.

Dominic D'Agostino has done a lot of research into brain injury recovery and a LCHF/ketogenic diet. He might have something that could help - if your inlaws are open to it.

Best wishes to him and your family.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hugs and prayers to you and your family. Interesting flyer.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The MRI came back normal. He is fine, he's able to talk fine and move around normally. The dr prescribed a low fat, low salt diet... even though his cholesterol is not high and his sodium is perfectly normal. I took a picture of his blood test. ecyocjt53pcw.jpg
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm going to sound controversial but all you can do, is sound out your husband's opinion (discuss it with him) and state your case with your in-laws, but also approach the responsible medical staff (providing the family is in agreement) and tell them their advice is horrendously wrong.

All you can do is pitch your point.
    If your H. and the family are in agreement, that is.
    Basically - he's not related to you. Only by marriage and as an in-law.
    You personally have no 'standing' in this matter.
    If he was a blood relative, or YOUR father, you might well have a much greater say, but at present, all you can do is state your case and see how it is received.

All the best to you.
    Whatever happens, keep on keeping on.... <3
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @LolaDeeDaisy23 - FYI, his B12 level also looks fairly low, and that (along with other B's) can related back to nerve and blood vessel health. (HUGS)

The rest of the results look similar to what I see every 6 months.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Also, his cholesterol isn't high - I know the Dr. circled the LDL value, but the real killer is the VLDL value which is perfectly within the bounds that it should be.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    As if things aren't stressful enough for you right now ....

As it happens, my husband and I went yesterday to a one hour seminar on stroke prevention and stroke treatment. It was like trying to drink from a fire hose; the information was coming at us faster than we could take it all in. Your posting did, however, make me realize that in the course of the presentation the speaker did not say one word about avoiding fats, salt is bad, etc. etc. etc. In fact, he said very little about diet. He said quite a lot about the importance of being active and controlling weight.

I'm sure you were told that a TIA can be a precursor of a full blown stroke. It's a kind of early warning system. Hopefully your in-laws will be able to find a neurologist who is more up to date than the folks you've encountered thus far.