Gonna tri after du-ing? Maybe?

Options
dreamer12151
dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
I have done 2 duathlons a few years ago, as I DON'T SWIM. I've been kind of "forced" to take the past year & half off & slowly due to feet surgeries (1 on each). Getting back into my running game with several running goals for the year.

So now my friend is challenging me with a tri in Feb 2018. (400m swim/11mile bike/2.1 mile run) The swim is in a pool with lifeguards & they even say on the website we can swim any way & rest on the wall as we need to. I'm ok with the run & bike, it's the swim (...water...deep water!) that is causing my concern now.

I know the basics of swimming, I'm just terrified of deep water. Other than joining the Y (majorly expensive!), is there something I can do now to help me? My complex does have 2 outdoor pools, don't know how "big" they are. I plan on getting some goggles & just play around for now (possibly as a cross training in my running plan?), but I have a feeling there is something else I can do. I know I'm not gonna be a Flora Duffy or Gwen Jorgensen, not looking for style points, just to survive a swim!

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're starting where a lot of us did. As an adult onset swimmer, I struggled with it at first. lessons helped with form and that built confidence. If you don't have the means to get coaching, there are a bunch of great resources on the web, many showing videos of balance and swimming drills to get comfortable in the water.

With that in mind, I"ll offer two suggestions:

1) Swimming is all about technique. If you do a bunch of swimming and your form is bad, you're doing yourself a disservice. Once you develop a decent freestyle stroke, its just a matter of putting in the time and yardage to improve.
    2) There is no better method than to have a coach or experienced swimmer watch you swim. They will be able to give you pointers that you can't see yourself, things such as: your legs are spread too far apart, your head is too high causing your legs to sink, etc. So try to get someone watch you swim. Their feedback will be very valuable.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My biggest recommendation to first time triathletes or adult swimmers is this: before your race, get at least one open-water supervised swim in. There is no true mental prep for open water swimming, other than open water swimming. Some people say you can find a pool that's super deep and try swimming with your eyes closed...but that really doesn't work I feel. Obviously learning technique is key, and if you can get a coach or someone experienced to watch and help you, bonus. But find a local open-water swim session somewhere and try it out. It goes a long way to help you overcome any fears. Also, if you will be wearing a wetsuit on race day, train with a wetsuit. Have fun and good luck! I have grown to really enjoy open water swimming, and I am sure you will do great.