Adding more carbs...

erika_307
erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
I currently keep my net carbs below 25. I was planning on adding in more carbs once I reach my goal weight. Has anyone here done this? Did your cravings come back? I love that I have no cravings on keto. I used to eat constantly (which was ok when I worked a physical job), but once I stopped working, and breastfeeding, the weight piled on so quickly. I don't want that to happen again.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Generally it is recommended to add more calories, not more carbs. If you do choose to add back in carbs, add in more veggies, still skipping the starchy ones. Maybe small portions of berries, yogurt/other fermented items, etc. I would NOT add back in grains, or anything else you reacted to. Potatoes in small portions, maybe, as they've some good nutrition, but not paired with fat and salt, as that is the trifecta of poor health stuff...sugar, fat, and salt... Fuels cravings!!

Items that caused you cravings before WILL STILL CAUSE you reactions, cravings, etc. Especially, I'd stay away from sugar. There is no need for it. Literally no biological need. So I'd evaluate what you want to do long term. If you have any health issues beyond the level of metabolic syndrome you describe above, there are some things you'll want to avoid for life.

You'll probably also want to do preventative eating with your little one so kiddo never ends up following Mom's food footsteps, at least, not learning it from her...

I think most of us will regain some flexibility for the occasional blip, BUT we generally need to keep the core of our dietary plan stable so occasional off plan moments don't permanently derail us...