does 85% dark chocolate taste bitter on higher carbs?

Adi4Fitness
Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
I know if you eat sugary stuff it tastes bitter as you get used to higher sugar content. today I started the day with 1 square and it was bitter the second one was good . Mid day I was at 9th square and it started to get very bitter.... earlier for lunch I had avocado and 2 cups of broccoli..
does carb intake influence bitterness ?

Replies

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Be careful with the chocolate - I don't know how big your squares are, but the 85-90% chocolate I buy has 4 carbs per square. That would be a lot if I ate 9 pieces!

Carb intake does not effect how you perceive bitterness, but cutting sugar out of your diet does. For most people who cut sugar, even the slightest bit of sweetness (fruit, stevia soda, etc) tastes syrupy sweet and often is wayyy too much (grossly sweet).

Since cutting sugar out of my diet, I can taste the sweetness in vegetables!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I don't think I ever made it over 8 squares in a day at 85-86%. I don't recall finding it increasingly bitter as the day went on. In fact, I think I settled into the bitterness and it tasted sweeter as my day went on... I could handle 72% easily, even on a temporary blip of returning to carbage, and I absolutely HATEHATEHATE coffee in my chocolate, and anything over 86% is not something I enjoy EVER...so I don't know. I find that super bitter/tannin taste positively revolting. But I also do not specifically remember any mid-day carb ups during the timing I ate excessive 86% dark chocolate.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Were you drinking anything with it? I feel like it tastes sweetest with coffee but if I'm drinking sparkling water, though I still find it sweet enough, it might have a slight less sweetness influenced by the crispness (?) of the water.

I would assume it was just contrasting against another flavor
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    I no longer find the 100% cocao bars bitter. They have no sugar.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Very dark +85% chocolate tastes awesome if melted on the tongue and pressed to the roof of your mouth and then exhale through the nose. Like tasting wine. Which, by the way, pairs extremely well with dark chocolate - they should be in your mouth at the same time to mingle flavours.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Very dark +85% chocolate tastes awesome if melted on the tongue and pressed to the roof of your mouth and then exhale through the nose. Like tasting wine. Which, by the way, pairs extremely well with dark chocolate - they should be in your mouth at the same time to mingle flavours.

Any other marriages made in epicurean heaven?
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,423 Member
    I love Lindt 90% dark chocolate. It's pretty good and doesn't taste bitter to me. I've been tempted to have it with almond butter too. Maybe I will tonight!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    marriages made in epicurean heaven:

bacon and tilapia
    avocado and cottage cheese
    beef and lambrusco

Would love to hear other people's favs
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    I know if you eat sugary stuff it tastes bitter as you get used to higher sugar content. today I started the day with 1 square and it was bitter the second one was good . Mid day I was at 9th square and it started to get very bitter.... earlier for lunch I had avocado and 2 cups of broccoli..
    does carb intake influence bitterness ?

I didn't use to like bitter chocolate, but since dropping sugar (and other carbs) some time back I find it much more pleasant.
    carlsoda wrote: »
    I love Lindt 90% dark chocolate. It's pretty good and doesn't taste bitter to me. I've been tempted to have it with almond butter too. Maybe I will tonight!

I use unsweetened bakers chocolate, and put fresh market (fresh ground) almond butter on. It's really tasty.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    I enjoy 100% caco -Ghiradelli makes a 100% bar. It is an acquired taste though. I still like 85%, and will enjoy some sugared chocolate on occasion. I am more of a coffee or espresso fan for my treats!