August LC Basics Boot Camp 2017: Week 3 (8/15-8/21)

Options
2»

Replies

• YAYA_of_2
    YAYA_of_2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    8/18

Log everything: <3
    Macros within 3-5%: ;)
    Under calorie goal: <3
    Water intake 80-100 oz: ;)
    Step goal made: <3
    Gym 3-4 days a week: :o not today
    Exercise: ;)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    ctdebbie wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new. Can someone explain Macros?

Macros are short for macronutrients, the main constituents of the human diet: carbs, protein, fat.
    They are often talked about in percentages of calories.
    Keto or LCHF macros often look like: 5% carbs, 25% protein, and 65% fat. Sometimes more up on the protein, or up on the carbs if you aren't shooting for ketosis (which isn't necessary for weightloss. Lot of folks do well on 75-100g. So these are the percentage of your calorie intake comprised of those elements.
    The problem with percents is that the higher the total number, the higher the grams will be for each macro. So this moves carbs up or down, the up potentially going too high for someone who wants to stay in ketosis. Most experts agree that anything below 50g total carbs maintains ketosis for most people.

So the best way to approach your low-carb diet is really this:
    • Stay below your carb ceiling (grams). Do not go over.
    • Stay in an appropriate protein range. You can calculate this using a keto calculator. Adequate protein is essential for preserving muscle in weight loss or building muscle if that is your goal. Again, this is a number in grams and is based upon your height/weight/activity level.
    • Fill in the rest of your calorie intake with fat.

This approach will land your macros right where they should be to start.

Feel free to look at the threads pinned at the top of the Group page, especially the Launch Pad (start there) and the Open Threads. Lots of info and between the 2 just about everything you need to know is covered.

HTH.
  • baconslave
    Options
    grogers511 wrote: »
    I think I'll join you folks here. I need the accountability and support.

I'm Ginger and I live in Texas.
    Daily goals.
    1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    2. Fiber 30g
    3. Vegetables - big salad daily
    4. Track/complete MFP entry daily
    5. Steps - average 5000 steps,30 Fitbit minutes

On 2013-14 - I quit smoking and dropped 60 lbs doing 50 carbs, 1200 cal and walking 4 miles, 60 active Fitbit minutes. I did my first 5k in Aug 2014. Started training for another 5k and tore meniscus in my right knee. Surgery, PT.., I let the set-back take the wind out of my sails. I gained back 50 lbs and I've been struggling since. Binge eating is s problem I'm working on.

-- Ginger in Texas

Welcome!!! :smile:
  • baconslave
    Options
    More madness. Packing up the camper.
    Made it through last night. I did a strength workout, and cleaned in turbo mode for 2.5 hours. The Fitbit said I burned 1000 extra calories. Whatever. It was tiring. But I have mostly clean floors. It wouldn't take as long if the kids would just PUT THEIR STUFF AWAY. Now they have a laundry basket full of crap they get to put away when we get back instead of playing. HAHA. Revenge. :wink:

Off to camp.
    :heart: you all.
    I'll be on-plan.
    Kick butt while I'm gone.
    See you all Monday.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Skipped Thursday, Friday except a little Qi Gong. Today I walked 5 miles to a couple grocery stores. Black Soybeans and mushrooms in the backpack.
  • ctdebbie
    ctdebbie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it a challenge to keep my carbs low without eating the same thins over and over.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ctdebbie wrote: »
    I'm finding it a challenge to keep my carbs low without eating the same thins over and over.

I hear that. On the flip side, I find it easy to keep my calories in check and carbs in check by eating the same things over and over. Makes life easy. Makes tracking easy. I vary my large meal of the day. It's pretty interesting. The other 1 or 2 or rest of the day is repetitious. I can say that I "pretty much" only eat fish/meat/eggs/vegetables/some fruits/dairy/nuts/seeds/oils.

Over my 4 years I have learned that I can only eat X calories and maintain. I can also only eat X carbs and not start craving. At least for today, food is nutrition. Food is about maintaining my health. Food is NOT for entertainment and comfort. It used to suck. It doesn't any more.

If my basic foods are not appealing...it's not hunger. Food is for hunger.

EDIT TO ADD: look in our "launch Pad". There are oodles of low carb recipe sites to peruse to make low carb/keto eating more interesting. I understand that liking what we eat is important to long term adherence. Been there.
  • ctdebbie
    ctdebbie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It's amazing how low calories stay when you don't eat carbs. Today, MFP told me I wasn't eating enough calories! Really?!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Oops, I'm behind in catching up!

Aug 17 I forget. :tongue:

Aug 18
    Weighed in: o:)
    Electrolytes: o:)
    Calorie Goal: Way over!
    Protein Goal: o:)
    Exercise: o:) (ran on the beach!)
    4/5

Aug 19
    Weighed in: Couldn't; we were at a hotel.
    Calorie Goal: o:)
    Exercise: Nope
    3/5

Aug 20
    Weighed in: o:)
    Calorie Goal: o:) (Fitbit isn't syncing with MFP today though so it looks like I was a little over.)
    Exercise: Rest day
    4/5
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    8/18/2017
    exercise 146 :D
    calories 1331 :)
    carbs 84 :/
    protein 77 :/

Didn't log over the weekend since there was no internet and the app doesn't work on my phone, but it was probably mediocre.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    8/21/2017
    exercise 131 :D
    calories 1160 :)
    carbs 83 :/
    protein 52 :)
  • bdbchick
    bdbchick Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    My Goals