How to get in 100 grams of flax seed daily? Easy Recipe? any Processed foods?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I use ground flax seeds and ground chia seeds in place of breadcrumbs, whether as a thickener/bulk ingredient or as a coating.

I incorporate it into my burger mince, together with grated parmesan, a good fistful of finely chopped parsley, finely chopped onion, plenty of seasoning and an egg.
    I don't like to give quantities of ingredients, because what you do, mix in and how much, is very much up to you.
    (I have been known to add finely chopped raw kidney, chicken heart or gizzard too, [maybe 30% offal, 70% mince, if you force my hand quantity-wise] to give the burgers a good consistency, but that too, is up to you.)

Form into round burger patties, about 2cm thick. Fry in the oil of your choice.
    Remove once well-cooked on both sides, keep warm. Add a little water, stock powder (optional) and cream cheese to the juices, and stir together to create a sauce. Serve with a good green salad with french Dressing.

Anyone up for seconds?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    I'm only sharing my own experience and saying keep an open mind and know that there are people that end up surprised by their lack of need for it. I certainly was when I realized what ended up being best for me. If I hadn't learned about it here from others at that time I wouldn't have solved my issues. So sharing different perspectives is helpful.

I always say listen to your body.
    I don't think I took a strong position in any direction here. I always say that some people clearly seem to need it to feel best. I wouldn't argue against it.
    But if we can't offer different information without it being considered a battle I don't know what good group collaboration is.
    That meativore thread had someone insisting carnivores were all wrecking their gut. It wasn't simply offering differing views. It was "this is wrong. The end"

Absolutely fair.
    Considering the complete BS we went through on the whole switching to private, I tend to err on the side of caution b/c I super-:heart: this group.
    Just sayin' don't fight.
    But please do share information. There's nothing wrong with being passionate about sharing our hard-won knowledge with others.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I think Mary's Crackers are mostly flax and other seeds. They are GF (if it matters to you) and seriously delish but also NOT cheap.
    shop.marysgonecrackers.com/Super-Seed-Crackers/c/MarysGoneCrackers@SuperSeed
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I think Mary's Crackers are mostly flax and other seeds. They are GF (if it matters to you) and seriously delish but also NOT cheap.
    shop.marysgonecrackers.com/Super-Seed-Crackers/c/MarysGoneCrackers@SuperSeed

There's also Doctor in the Kitchen Flackers https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Kitchen-Flackers-Crackers-Rosemary/dp/B0078DQ85S/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1503232059&sr=1-1&keywords=flackers&th=1
    xpk6kzte07mg.jpg
    hd3fd33h62i2.jpg
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I just dump both flaxseeds (eat them ground for max benefit) and chia seeds into my morning yogurt. I pick the lowest carb yogurt I can find, but you could always use coconut based yogurt or straight cream if yogurt has too many carbs for you. I find the yogurt/ fiber combo helps soak up excess acid in my tummy :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I concur with the goodness of the yogurt/flaxseed meal mix and that meal is more beneficial than seeds (based on what I read). The seeds simply go through your digestive tract. With the meal, the nutrients are absorbed.

Flaxseed meal is probably one of the few things I eat that is not stocked in most pantries/refrigerators. I just don't tend to buy/eat much other than fish/common meat/vegetables/some fruits/eggs/common dairy/fats and oils/nuts and seeds.

I like flaxseed meal in cold foods versus hot. The texture changes when cooked or baked. My mixes are:
    Greek Yogurt/flaxseed meal/raspberries (raspberries are loaded with fiber)
    Cream cheese, flaxseed meal, olives
    Avocados mashed with flaxseed meal.

I eat lots of greens. Cabbage, collards, spinach, kale, Swiss chard, common lettuces. Kale is excellent stir fried with black olives and roasted red peppers. Swiss Chard is tasty topped with parmesean cheese

I've never tried chia seeds. I have nothing against them. They just remind me of those cute little Cha Cha Cha Chia Pets/commercials that I saw every year around Christmas.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Fibre does more than make you go to the bathroom. It can help lower cholesterol and blood pressure, controls blood sugar and can help you feel full longer. 38 grams is recommended for men and 25 grams for women (21g for women over 50).

I eat a keto oatmeal for breakfast which is 2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut, 2 Tbsp chia seeds, 2 Tbsp ground flax, 1 Tbsp sweetener. Mix together. Add 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla and stir together. Leave in fridge overnight and eat cold or microwave to heat it up. 13 g of fibre.

Other options are nuts, fruits and vegetables.

Thanks for the recipe; I want to try this!
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Serve with a good green salad with french Dressing.

Where are you finding low carb French dressing??? Or are you making it? You probably make it as it seems like you have good kitchen skills. I don't, LOL.

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the chia ideas. I make chocolate chia pudding BUT when it is around, I tend to overeat it and my tummy hurts. I like fiber as a rule but too much of anything, and chocolate pudding? Well, need some self control over that too! I use ground flax and hemp seeds in their places too and I don't overeat them. o:)
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I make chia/ flax seed crackers sometimes? (flaxseeds, flaxmeal, chia seeds, water, garlic powder and soy sauce/coconut aminos)
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @kpk54 thank you
    just in one meal i hit 36 grams of fibre .
    avocado 185 grams 19 grams of fibre mashed with 30 gram flax seed at 8 grams of fibre and 9 grams of fiber with dark chocolate . I like Crunchy stuff and flax seeds add it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 thank you
    avocado 185 grams 19 grams of fibre mashed with 30 gram flax seed at 8 grams of fibre and 9 grams of fiber with dark chocolate . I like Crunchy stuff and flax seeds add it.

@Adi4Fitness - I just have to say, I'm jealous you can have that much. Veggie fiber carbs are one thing, but anything like this - too much and I'm in instant nap mode... :) Guessing you have no insulin issues...
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @kpk54 thank you

@Adi4Fitness - I just have to say, I'm jealous you can have that much. Veggie fiber carbs are one thing, but anything like this - too much and I'm in instant nap mode... :) Guessing you have no insulin issues...

Now that you mention it i did have moments of knockout naps after high carb. in retrospect i believe it was high sugar combined with carbs. That lunch came about 50 grams of carbs including the dark chocolate . I also stay around 50 grams of carbs no where near keto levels but i do intermittent fasting. That has probably helped with the insulin and not being in instant nap mode. one thing i do notice though No matter what day it is or what i eat, if i do not have my daily dose of vitamin D close to 6000mg I am lethargic , tired/sleepy . Seeing how i still have 30 pounds to lose i can only assume i would not need as much vitamin D when i get to my ideal weight range.
    Obese people need lot more vitamin D than normal folks.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Artichokes. High fiber. Low carb.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @kpk54 thank you

Now that you mention it i did have moments of knockout naps after high carb. in retrospect i believe it was high sugar combined with carbs. That lunch came about 50 grams of carbs including the dark chocolate . I also stay around 50 grams of carbs no where near keto levels but i do intermittent fasting. That has probably helped with the insulin and not being in instant nap mode. one thing i do notice though No matter what day it is or what i eat, if i do not have my daily dose of vitamin D close to 6000mg I am lethargic , tired/sleepy . Seeing how i still have 30 pounds to lose i can only assume i would not need as much vitamin D when i get to my ideal weight range.
    Obese people need lot more vitamin D than normal folks.

@Adi4Fitness - I find that, too, but I've been vitamin D deficient for a decade or more. However, I have found something that makes a difference, too, is adding iron with c around my morning meal and after late lunch. My RBC/HG/HCT have always been at the bottom of the barrel...this last time I finally pushed below levels just a titch. For proper thyroid function, your levels must be closer to 75% of range, at least for iron, and mid level on rest, and so that explained SO much...because iron requires B12, and B12, iron, and D3 all require so much stomach acid to digest, which for me was impaired by my gallbladder removal AND by hypothyroidism dialing back production...so it because a self-fulfilling cycle. Most recent readings show me that D3 is recommended optimally (by Vitamin D Council) to be 100-150, and I realized that explained so much! Between the D3 and K2, I finally got my levels up from the 20's!

But I added the flax to a hemp shake (full on keto recipe), and still took the food nap, so for me, it wasn't sugar related... I have been very leery of it is sense. I'm glad that you seem to be doing better than I did. And yup, I'm still in the MO category, so that explains why my daily dose has to be 2-3x normal...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

I wish they were more affordable...I grew up eating them!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Yum.

Alas, the fiber and net carb values for artichokes are pretty diverse, both on MFP and Cronometer... :/ ??
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options

I always say listen to your body.

This.....I am currently fighting the battle with myself right now over cheese.....Love it and had tapered off a bit, but recently took it up again and seem to be finding gut issues......Hoping against hope that it's not the cheese, but deep in my heart I know it is. LOL
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Yum.

Alas, the fiber and net carb values for artichokes are pretty diverse, both on MFP and Cronometer... :/ ??

It might depend on whether they are counting artichoke hearts only or scraping the 'leaves/petals' through your teeth to get the meat off the base of each of them. Also if you actually eat the fuzzy choke (named that for a good reason)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »

Yum.

It might depend on whether they are counting artichoke hearts only or scraping the 'leaves/petals' through your teeth to get the meat off the base of each of them. Also if you actually eat the fuzzy choke (named that for a good reason)

^^ This is how my mama taught me...scrape the leaves, ditch the choke, eat the entire stem if it's not tough. <3

P.S. Oddly enough, I don't like marinated hearts, like not at all!