In a food rut- need ideas

Options
curlyq86
curlyq86 Posts: 14 Member
I've hit a wall. I meal prep on Sundays for the week and I've noticed lately that I don't want to eat my meals. I'll either only have a protein shake or go off plan completely and order fast food. Any ideas on what I can do to get me back on track and loving my meals?

Any ideas on delicious meals to make for the week?

Replies

• Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    What do you normally make? Personally, I bake a large salmon fillet with different sauces depending on my mood, and eat it over the course of a few days. Sometimes I coat it with chipotle mustard, sometimes I use an Asian-style sauce, etc. I love salmon, so I can eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Steak medallions marinated in whatever you choose and roasted veggies is very tasty, as well. Tuna salad, salmon salad, chicken salad...all with avocado and sliced raw veggies. I baked some boneless skinless chicken thighs with chipotle salsa the other day and put it over a salad, into some lettuce cups, etc.
  • curlyq86
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas. I don't like to eat a lot of dairy. Below is what I tend to prepare.

breakfast: egg cups with ground turkey and assorted veggies
    lunch: chicken tenders or fish with a vegetable and 1/3 cup cooked brown rice
    dinner: fish, chicken, or turkey burgers with veggies
    Snacks: cottage cheese with fruit.

Overall, I think I'm dealing with a texture issue. Struggle chicken and watery reheated veggies get boring overtime.

I've used a slow cooker only twice and really don't like it. I attempted pulled chicken with onions and peppers (think fajitas) and a bison chili- both were way too watery and tasteless.

What do you all use to store your food? I think the plastic containers are also contributing to the lack of appeal.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    curlyq86 wrote: »
    What do you all use to store your food? I think the plastic containers are also contributing to the lack of appeal.

I use glass storage containers just to limit my exposure to plastics. They are heavy and take up room but you can reheat times without worry about what the plastic is doing to the food.

Hmmm, as far as the food rut?

Well I tend to mix things up quite a bit. So for something like eggs having them prepared in different ways like scrambled, omelette, over easy, hard boiled. Then adding different things to them like veggies, cheese, meats, etc. Sometimes I add red or green New Mexico chile for a spicy kick.

I steam small portions of veggies instead of cook them so they are fresh and not soggy. If you take your veggies to work and have a microwave you can add a small bit of water to steam them on the spot instead of precook them. I mix everything together in my wok to make stir fry and add different sauces to spice things up. Pretty much how I cooked prior to LCHF just cutting out the carbs as much as possible.

Something like pulled chicken with peppers and onions, I would make sure to cook the onions and peppers first until they are to your liking while cooking the chicken in another pan. Drain off any excess liquid out of both and then mix them together. Slow cookers are good for stews (you sometimes have sear the meat prior to adding it) in my opinion but you just have to find the right amount of water to add so things don't dry out. Adding some type of low carb flour will help thicken things up in a slow cooker after things are close to being done. Also if you add tomatoes they contain a lot of moisture so you might not need to add water. Instead of water add some type of stock (veggie or chicken broth) it will make things tastier. Chicken is pretty versatile like Tofu it will tend to absorb whatever flavors you cook it with. I keep a wide range of spices handy just for both of those. I also have some almond meal that I use to coat items if I just want something different.

I really try to limit the amount of low carb tortillas I eat but I do have them once in a while as a treat.

It's really fun to experiment but sometimes it doesn't turn out well. My first experience with Miracle noodles wasn't pleasant but now I like them. I also killed an entire tofu stir fry that morphed into tofu mush it wasn't a good day.

Now I am hungry its time for lunch.
  • curlyq86
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to recalibrate the slow cooker ratios and give a curry a spin next week.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My current boring lunch (which I love):
    Black soybeans 1/2cup
    Chicken 3oz
    blue cheese crumbles 1oz
    with chipotle tobasco, heated

Net carbs: 1
    calories: 310
    protein: 37
    fat: 16
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Pickled eggs! I second the curry. Blanch a bunch of cauliflower, add a few shreds of carrot for colour, tiny pearl onions (not the prepared sweet ones) and mix with your fave herbs,a good olive oil, and an interesting vinegar. Leave it to marinate for a couple days and eat at room temperature. Tuna with Pataks Hot Lime Pickle.
  • hankela
    hankela Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love this: https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/10/cauliflower-and-parmesan-cake/. It's great hot or cold - and keeps well in fridge. I use the full fat and cheese amounts (see notes, as she reduces) & swap out the flour for almond flour. I also skip the sesame seeds.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    curlyq86 wrote: »
    chicken and watery reheated veggies get boring overtime.

So it sounds like your lunch is the main issue? Some of my favorite lunches:
    Green salad with chicken breast and olive oil based dressing
    Egg salad with celery stalks or over a bed of spinach with a few cherry tomatoes and pickles
    Lunch meat, string cheese and pickles
    Hamburger/turkey patty with avocado smashed on top
    Country ribs and cauliflower mash
    Keto Egg drop soup (not really packable for work, but so easy for weekends)

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I had a whole long list of my "go to" foods typed out yesterday then hit the wrong key om ny computer.

I'll leave this: Chicken Picatta. Recipes on line. Keep it simple. Pound out a skinless boneless chicken breast. Add salt and pepper. Brown in a skillet with butter and olive oil. Throw in some white wine, lemon juice and capers. Cook til done. Not long. It is thin. I add sauteed mushrooms. ALL is awesome served over raw spinach or zoodles. Pasta or rice if you must.

Tip: weigh that chicken breast. You know it is more than 4 ounces. If not a small "natural" bird it is likely a whopping 12 ounces.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of homemade chicken ceaser salad.
    Grilled chicken, crumbled bacon, shredded parmesan, organic greens and caesar dressing.
    I grill 2-3 chicken breasts and 6-8 slices of bacon in advance, then whenever I'm hungry it's just a matter of tossing all ingredients in a bowl.
    Super easy and super yum!!
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love making tacos in bell peppers! Or zucchini boats! Just make sure you track it and plan the rest of your day accordingly. To make sure you have the carbs for the bell pepper. (If you are a 10-20 net carbs a day, you have to be careful)
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What is the best shredded cheese to use when making recipes? Mexican etc. I believe the bagged shredded has more carbs. Do you buy the block cheese and shred it or do you find it better with the liquid cheese Etc?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Bagged shredded cheese has more carbs generally due to dustings of starch to keep the shreds from sticking. Sometimes there is added cellulose too. You can always pre-shred block cheese (it's cheaper anyhow) and freeze it to add to recipes later. Frozen cheese crumbles more but that doesn't matter with recipes that use shredded cheese.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What is the best shredded cheese to use when making recipes? Mexican etc. I believe the bagged shredded has more carbs. Do you buy the block cheese and shred it or do you find it better with the liquid cheese Etc?

I shred the block hard cheeses. The pre cut cheeses have a starchy product added to them so they don't stick together. Zylisz makes a wonderful hand cranked cheese shreder so you don't have to accidentally scrap your hand/fingers and it cleans up easily. It comes with two sizes. I use it daily. It is consistently the top rated shreder by American Test Kitchen reviews. Amazon, Bed and Bath or any kitchen gadget shops should have them under $20. Buying block cheese you will save that much very quickly.
  • mkoh65
    mkoh65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been making homemade mayo every weekend and using it to make tasty ranch or blue cheese dressing. It's delicious on raw or steamed vegetables, chicken, eggs, whatever, and it saves time because it allows me to throw together a simple dish or meal without much planning that still tastes great.