The way we think about sugar is going to change

Options
It was 5 weeks ago, my doctor told me that I had entered the pre-diabetic stage. Yikes. Coincidently, I watched "The Way We Think About Sugar Is Going To Change". Another coincidence is that I was taking a course about "Tiny Habits" a concept Dr. BJ Fogg who is an expert in creating systems to change human behavior.

A friend and I decided to make one tiny change in the way we eat. We decided to limit our daily sugar intake to 50g or less and use MFP to track it. I've been very diligent about it and here are my results: down 8.8lbs, more energy, less cravings, clothes are fitting looser, and the dark ring around my neck and dark spots spots on my knees (condition that pre-diabetic and diabetic people develop that indicates too much glucose in the bloodstream) are gone!

Limiting my sugar intake has been miraculous. Easier than any fad diet I've been on before (including the tactic of just limiting the amount of calories I eat). I know that I'm going to be able to sustain this lifestyle change with fun and ease.

Last weekend I attended a nutrition class for pre-diabetics. It was very informative. I will continue to limit my daily sugar intake using MFP and all your support and encouragement out there. During this second month, I'm taking on one more "change" since attending that nutrition class which is limiting carbohydrates between 35-45g per meal (which is for women; 45-60g/meal for men). I'm going to do this for the next month or so. MFP makes it so easy to track this.

One change at a time. It really does make a difference in making a lifestyle change. When the third month approaches, I'll keep you all posted if I incorporate another "change". Thanks for all your support. =)

I go into my doctor for a blood sugar test follow-up in October. I'll keep you all posted. =)

Replies

• smallsteps2success
    smallsteps2success Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    New update: Went in yesterday for my blood sugar level retest. Great news! I am out of the pre-diabetic range and am now in the healthy range for blood sugar levels. It's even lower than it was 5 years ago. I'm so elated that my hard work and diligence has paid off. Not giving up...gonna continue on this awesome journey of health. =)
  • smallsteps2success
    smallsteps2success Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Watched That Sugar Film a few days ago. A documentary of a man's journey to eat "healthy" foods. Very interesting and enlightening food for thought.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I agree. Limiting sugar is easy. I no longer add it to my tea or coffee. We now add a lot less sugar to other drinks we mix at home. Some other naturally sweet foods I now avoid such as certain snacks and desserts. I too came down from pre-diabetic to normal readings, but now they're back up a bit. Can't give up the fight.