Dieting on a College Meal Plan

shaylaw
shaylaw Posts: 13 Member
What kind of substitutions meal-wise have you guys with a college meal plan had to make since your journey? I'm curious because it's hard for me to pass up the pizza/veggie burger line especially when I'm starving after class.

Replies

• appaflop
    appaflop Posts: 5 Member
    It's really hard, isn't it? Something I do (not really a substitution, though) is that, no matter how hungry I am, I look at everything the dining hall has and choose a veggie FIRST. Then I have less room on my plate to fill with pizza and stuff :smile:
    I also keep a salad in my minifridge, because then I'm almost always guilt-tripped into eating it before it goes bad.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Great question! I am a dependent (live at home under my folks’ love and rules), so I’m technically not allowed the power of food choice. Even so, through the years, I’ve:
    Fasted and just came to the dining hall (their order, not recommended because you can’t pay attention in class, homework time or tutoring on low blood sugar)
    Fasted and just gone to the library to study (see above disclaimer)
    Juice-fasted and either studied in the library or chatted with the girls in the dining hall (no protein allowed, danger)
    Used food replacements like shakes, both rooms (that’s self harm...enough said)
    Brown-bagged it and come to the library (lucky I didn’t get in trouble for food stink).
    Brown-bagged it and used dining hall equipment (got in trouble for stealing)
    Gone to the Sandwich Room (thank you Lubbock Christian University), chosen a yummy combo and grabbed a side of salad/fruit, noshed on something that would hold me through the crazy afternoon while enjoying the conversation
    The bolded is what I recommend if such amenities exist where you study. I hope something on that list proves helpful!
  • AvengingPhoenix
    AvengingPhoenix Posts: 46 Member
    At my school the calories for stuff in the main dining hall is listed online, so tracking food is super easy. I suppose one good trick is to think about your fitness goal is, and try to find food that helps you best achieve it. I'm not saying to conpletely cancel out "junk" food from you diet, but maybe only have pizza on days you are going to the gym, or have a smaller slice. I really like the Chinese food sold biweekly on campus, but since it's super unhealthy I'm only getting it when I receive a good grade on an exam.