Revisionist History Podcast

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
I listen to a lot of podcasts. This particular one is interesting for this group as it pertains to the ignored results of the Minnesota study showing that not only did mortality not improve when saturated fat was replaced with vegetable oil, it was actually worse.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/20-the-basement-tapes

The podcast is about more than that, but it is still a good listen.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    We'll if you are talking about the Minnesota Starvation Study that used volunteer Conscience Objectors as their subject, while I will not dispute the claim you site above, that is a massive study that has been "cherry picked" to death by a multitude of researchers and journalists to support all sorts of stuff...subjects were under extreme conditions. Just sayin'.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    We'll if you are talking about the Minnesota Starvation Study that used volunteer Conscience Objectors as their subject, while I will not dispute the claim you site above, that is a massive study that has been "cherry picked" to death by a multitude of researchers and journalists to support all sorts of stuff...subjects were under extreme conditions. Just sayin'.

Not that Minnesota study. This is the one where they used mental institutions and did a double blind where half had all things veg oil (cooked in it and margarine) and the other side at real saturated fat including butter. Cholesterol went down with the veg oil group, but mortality went up - especially for those over 65.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »

Not that Minnesota study. This is the one where they used mental institutions and did a double blind where half had all things veg oil (cooked in it and margarine) and the other side at real saturated fat including butter. Cholesterol went down with the veg oil group, but mortality went up - especially for those over 65.

Oh ok. The Minnesota Coronary Experiment. Thank you.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Here is a related article if you would prefer to read about it more directly. I just thought it was interesting/cool that it was in a podcast that is not scientific/health related.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/records-found-in-dusty-basement-undermine-decades-of-dietary-advice/