Anyone care to look at my diary?

Options
Phanny24
Phanny24 Posts: 23 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
Hello everyone! I am now on day 11 of eating low carb. I try to stay at 50g a day. I'm doing the best I can with meal planning and what not but still not feeling quite right. I make 2 "ketorades" a day as that helps with sodium intake and I feel like I'm getting enough fat but I'm still feeling a bit "buzzed" , kind of like when you have a drink and sometimes hungry. Some days I have a hard time getting more calories in without increasing carb intake. I do go to the gym 3 times a week and don't want to eat back all calories burned. I think I'm on the right track I've lost 4 lbs in almost 2 weeks. I'm thinking my body is still adjusting? Maybe someone can take a peek at my logs and see if there's something I should do different? Thanks in advance!

Haven't logged exercise for the day yet so far over 300 calories burned

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    First you need to make you diary open to the public so we can see it. :)
  • Phanny24
    Options
    Oops didn't know i had it set to private, thanks @ladipoet
  • Phanny24
    Options
    Any suggestions anyone?
  • ladipoet
    edited August 2017
    Options
    No worries. Okay, so I took a few minutes to look through your diary and here is what jumps out at me (and please take my "critique" with a grain of salt - we all have to figure out how to tweak Keto to fit our lifestyles and needs especially with regard to what we like to eat):

Your entries for the Quest bars are all incorrect. I know because I eat Quest bars. There is absolutely NO WAY one whole Quest contains 7g/carbs. Quest bars typically contain in the range of 20-30g/carbs each. So unless you are intentionally doing "Net" carbs and not "Total" carbs, this is something to be aware of. I usually cut a quest bar into 4 pieces and only have a small piece as part of a meal as a sort of treat / desert. You might also consider cutting in half or thirds (shrug).

The Blue Diamond Almond Milk is absolutely loaded with carbs/sugars which means it is sweetened. I suggest switching that out with an unsweetened Almond Milk. You can easily sweeten it yourself at home with something like vanilla flavored liquid stevia or a few drops of liquid sucralose, a combination of both or any other sugar substitue of your choice that is low-carb friendly. Others prefer to use sugar-free syrups like Torani or Da Vinci to impart a sweet flavor to their coffee or morning drinks without adding much in the way of carbs/sugar.

Flatout bread: 14g/carbs per serving seems like a lot to me (my daily limit is 40g/carbs so I'm not too far off from what you are trying to do). You have a couple of options here. Find a low-carb friendly bread (there are several out there that have less carbs per piece than your wrap) and/or make your own LC-friendly bread or tortillas/wraps at home. Yeah, I know, that's kind of a pain, it just depends on what works for your schedule. (Shrug) It may be that you decide that you don't mind budgeting and spending your carb allowance on the Flatout wraps and if you're okay with that, then keep doing what you're doing.

Bustello Cafe Con Leche...wow does this have a TON of carbs/sugars in it (I looked it up on amazon). I'm not saying that you can't have your coffee, but might I suggest you look around for an alternative? Try making your own coffee at home and adding Heavy Whipping Cream or 1/2 & 1/2 to it (please ditch whole milk, 2% milk, 1% milk, or fat-free milk - milk usually contains loads of carbs/sugars - use HWC or half-and-half instead - or even coconut milk - just make sure to get one that is low in carbs/sugars as some can contain a lot of sugar). Use an unsweetened nut milk with a sugar-free sweetener to make it palatable.

Marinara Sauce: suggest you pick up a lower-carb version in the future like Rao's, Bella-Vita, etc. Both of these brands are tasty and you'll be able to have a little bit more of it too. :)

By making some of the above changes, you'll be able to whittle down your carb count nicely and still be able to get more carbs elsewhere (if you choose) from whole foods like fruits, vegetables, and homemade LC-friendly recipes! Hopes this info helps.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Also, your sodium intake seems a little on the low side to me especially the days where you're not even getting in 3000mg. Try upping your salt intake and see if you don't feel better. I've learned the hard way that my body likes and prefers 5000-6000mg of salt every day.
  • Phanny24
    Options
    @ladipoet thank you so so much! I really appreciate it !
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'd start by going to settings and deleting the "sugar" category and adding the "fiber" category. For the purpose of LEARNING about food. If you're keeping carbs low, "sugar" generally remains low.

The reason I suggest changing what you monitor is I see lots foods in your diary that I think are nutritious such as strawberries, avocados and nuts. These foods are high carb food entries AND contain healthy fiber making the "net carbs" much lower. Keep those. My opinion.

The "gurus" of the industry (researchers/scientist/book writers) tend to focus on "net carbs". I don't personally dwell on total versus net but there is benefit to it. Looking at another screen in MFP you ARE eating a lower carb NET. Going back a few days this is what I see:
    68 carbs-16 fiber= 52 net carbs
    77 carbs-31 fiber= 46 net carbs continuing more simply
    85 total-37 fiber=
    55-29=
    74-33=
    88-36=
    73-17=
    58-17=
    88-41=
    65-24=

You're doing great-if you look at net carbs. You're doing fine in the total carb category (IMO). Generally speaking, any thing under 150 is considered low carb. There is no "magic" number that applies to everyone day in and day out in regards to weight loss.

Sure there are foods you eat that I would not. There are foods I eat that you would not. Both can work. Sorry to not address specifics in regards to foods. Yes. That one Quest Bar was off. Find a database entry that is accurate. You seem to like Quest Bars and your other entries seem OK. There are a huge number of incorrect entries in the MFP database. It's helpful to check your entries.
  • Phanny24
    Options
    Thank you @kpk54 Any opinions I can get are very helpful! I have been subtracting total carbs and fibre as you suggested....i do like quest bars lol I find myself getting hungry often on days I work out and eating one of these during my long commute home helps hold me off until dinner time...i must have selected net carbs instead of the other options I didn't know there were so many more carbs in the bar!