Low Carb Sauces

Options
Any ideas for basic sauces to create or even pick up at the store to add to make simple meals?

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I make a batch of low-carb bbq sauce almost every week.

I start with home-made bone broth, but it can be made with store-bought broth as well. If you use purchased broth you need to add some xanthan gum to thicken it; bone broth thickens fine on its own.

qlv5onjc75bp.png

(Note the serving size is huge - this estimate is based on 8 servings out of a batch but a batch usually comes to a quart. So like 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce per serving? If you use it by the tablespoon, carbs and calories are negligible.)

9r6bqv50lkv7.jpg

Just mix everything together in a big pot, bring it to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, until it reaches the desired thickness. Usually takes about an hour for me, to get to where i like it.

2cu7tk1af2i9.jpg

The hot sauce, stevia, salt, actually pretty much everything you can adjust to taste. I like it super spicey so I also add a teaspoon of Da Bomb hot sauce to it. The citric acid isn't necessary if you don't happen to have any onhand, but it does give a very slight extra bit of tang to the sauce.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Eastern Carolina BBQ Sauce:

Boil 16 oz apple cider vinegar with approx 3 tbsp. Of garlic and 3 tbsp. of red pepper flakes for 5 minutes (stir occasionally).

Remove from heat and grind in pepper (to taste, probably about 1-2 tsp.).

I pour over pork and let slow cook for 6-8 hours in a crock pot for easy low carb shredded meat.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    LOL. Wooohoooo on that Eastern NC Pig Pickin' Sauce. I live in Eastern NC. Well Piedmont really. The Eastern NC beats Western all.day.long :) in BBQ. I digress...

I make alfredo with cream cheese, half and half (or HWC), garlic. That's it. Sometimes I'll add fresh parmesan to the mix for more flavor. I don'have a recipe. It's about 4 Oz. of cream cheese, 1/2 to 3/4 cup of 1/2 and 1/2 and 1-2 cloves of garlic closes minced. Heat on the stove until the cheese is melted. Don't boil. It tends to separate and/or burn.

I'm not a purist with my marinara in that I add a couple of tsp of brown sugar. A 1/2 cup serving has 9 carbs with the tomatoes, onions, carrots, garlic, etc in the version I make. You could use an artificial sweetener rather than brown sugar. It is basically a small-chop of the veg sautéed in a little oil, a 15 Oz. can of diced tomatoes, a clove or 2 of garlic, a little sweetener. I don't "cook mine down" to make it thick. I like it on the thin side. Besides, cooking it down would increase the carbs per the same serving size.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they count as sauces, but I add mayo and guac to a lot of dishes. (not at the same time lol)
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Here's my go-to Sugar Free Teriyaki Sauce:

2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional, but adds so much flavor)
    2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
    4 tablespoons chicken broth
    4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce aka Rooster Sauce (or more if brave)
    1 squirt Dasani Water Drops - Pineapple, Coconut
    1 squirt Dasani Water Drops - Orange (go easy on this one)
    1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
    1 teaspoon ginger root, grated
    1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum or your favorite low carb thickener;
    add ¼ teaspoon at a time.

INSTRUCTIONS
    Combine sauce ingredients through ginger root. Stir to combine. Dust in thickening powder and whisk like crazy to prevent clumping. Let sauce sit. It will thicken up as it sits. If it gets too thick, add a tablespoon of additional chicken stock. If still too thin, sprinkle in a tiny bit of thickener, whisk and wait.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Pretty smart to use the water flavor drops!!