Should I cut? 189 lbs/86 kg Novice Lifter

Options
TimIsABat
TimIsABat Posts: 1 Member
Hey guys, I am a novice powerlifter and I wanna know if I should go on a cut before my 1st USAPL Meet (November 12th).

I am 189 lbs/86 kg, and these are my numbers when I first tested my 1RM June 30th, (started powerlifting July 3rd):

Squat: 315 lbs/143 kg
Bench: 160 lbs/73 kg
Deadlift: 365 lbs/166 kg

I just finished week 7 of the program I'm on (I have a coach), and I haven't really been tracking my diet cause I solely wanted to focus on getting the lifts down. I haven't tested my 1RMs yet, but I am hoping they got higher (probably though since I've been consistent with going in 4 days/week following the program super super close with guidance from my coach).

I have been eating the Intermittent Fasting way for almost 6 months out of habit (16 hr fast, 8 hour feeding), because I was more into body building before.

Some other numbers that may matter: I am at about 23% body fat (guesstimate...that was the measurement I got before I started powerlifting using a handheld electric caliper). I am also 25.

My concern is, if I want to have a competitive chance, should I cut down to hit the 83 kg class?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Regardless of weight, if you're 23% bodyfat, a cut is advisable. Now would be the time to do it as well. Assuming a solid deficit, you could be well down into the 83 kilo class within a couple of weeks, and able to "eat up" toward your meet. Actively dieting while trying to train toward a max effort in the last weeks would completely suck.
  • verylargearray
    verylargearray Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just doing your first meet is a big deal. I would focus on lifting technique to meet the USAPL standards and mentally preparing for the meet. You can focus on making a particular class later on.
    Best of luck to you!!!