Olive oil only diet - as anyone tried this?

Options
pacific904
pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
On my way to France, I picked up a medical journal that someone had left on the train seat. An overweight female doctor was describing how she lost 39 lbs in 3 months time by taking twice daily two tablespoons of unblended virgin olive oil and no food. She would also add a teaspoon of salt to two litres of water. She would eat with her family at weekends and resume this regime every Monday. She described how her skin is now glowing and the feeling of wellbeing she feels.

She added that she is not planning to write a book as she can explain the process in one line and that she she has no affiliation to any food company or olive oil council.

I love to try this willpower allowing.

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Not all of this is woo science.

I am not sure that I would fast using olive oil only. The Bacon Experiment (on facebook) uses just bacon but it isn't fasting and potassium and magnesium supplementation is recommended to balance the salt. Two tablespoons of EVOO is pretty close to fasting, IMO, and ....

Many well regarded medical sites recommend fasting for no longer than 72 hours without doctor's supervision. Apparently there are changes in your body after 72 hours which should be monitored.

However, there is a great deal of science supporting adding EVOO to a diet to lose more weight and improve health markers.

Here is one such study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28808791/
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Will not let me edit twice.

IMO, adding EVOO to short fasts might work well. But I have not found any fasting studies to prove this. As in regular fasting, electrolytes would have to be watched.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    You might find this interesting too.

http://olivecenter.ucdavis.edu/research/files/blood-lipid