Starting working out after injury

Options
anarumodawn
anarumodawn Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
I am a 49 year old female who was fit most of my life. I injured my tib/fib a year ago and had another health issue that is now resolved but packed on alot of weight. I was up to 178 at 5'6. My goal isn't to set the world on fire, ( although later I might :smile: ) I never appear my weight ( I am a size 10 now , even at my weight) and 145 is a perfect goal for me. That'll make me about a size 6 or small 8. I'm down to 173 in 2 weeks.
I just received clearance to do what l like at the gym but I find I can only withstand about 30 minutes on the rower( easier on that leg) and about 3 sets each on the weight machines for about 20 to 30 minutes. The treadmill still hurts way too much but I try 10 minutes on it.
Any advice how to help up this gradually as it seems if I do , the next day my foot/ leg is screaming and I'm hobbled. The leg is no longer atrophied but extremely weak. My drop foot is getting a bit better since the small exercise I'm doing.
I started working out in the pool. Any advice on weight training in water? I can swim all day .
Also.. I've grown to accept that any activity is better than none. As a formerly fit person this was hard to accept. My ego railed against it. I'm grateful I can do any of it especially approaching 50 years old and the extent of the injury . Being kind to yourself helps alot!

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    When I used to go to the pool more regularly, there was a group doing some pool physiotherapy there once a week. Some of them who tried to build up endurance and strength in a specific muscle used to wear some kind of waterproof weighted bandages or wristbands which made it a little harder on that part of the body without straining it too much.

I just checked, they seem to be called 'aquatic ankle weights'. If you are free to do what you want at the gym, those should not be a problem.