HR and Bike Trainer

Options
3dogsrunning
3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone has the answer.
Due to weather, I ride all winter inside in a trainer. I have speed/cadence but no power meter. My trainer is a Blackburn but not compatible with Zwift.
I cannot get my HR up on the trainer. I work very hard. I can't hold the intensity it takes to get my Hr up for a long period of time. I'm dripping sweat. Outdoors I have no problem reaching my targets.
I want to do a March HIM while on vacation but that means no outdoor riding for me prior to the race and I'm concerned I just won't be getting the workout I need from the trainer.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I have run into this during the winter as well. I have a CycleOps fluid trainer, a speed/cadence sensor and no power meter. I have a Trainerroad account and use their base building workouts in the off season. I also work pretty hard on the trainer, but don't see the HR get quite as high as I think it should. My suggestions would be to increase resistance and to follow a challenging workout program that tracks your efforts on the screen. (You're probably doing these things already.)

The other thing I do in the winter is attend a power based Spinning Class once/week, where the bikes have power meters installed. This serves as my weekly high intensity bike workout. The entire class has their power/cadence/mileage numbers shown on the screen and that creates quite a competitive atmosphere. I always get a great workout during these sessions and then my home sessions become the endurance based rides. Good luck.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much going to second what @Djproulx just said. TrainerRoad actually has a webpage that has the smart trainer equivalent for your non-supposed non-smart trainer (I have a super cheapo trainer from Amazon I got for $50 and I love it!). I am not sure if Zwift has a similar chart, but this might help you to select a "compatible" trainer.

Even though you won't get the road time, if you have a lot of prior road time, then you are familiar with your bike and conditions, so the key is to focus on endurance and leg strength. I used to spend 1-2 nights a week in a spin class and then another 1-2 nights on my trainer. In all honesty, with the TrainerRoad options, I don't see much need to hit up the spin class, since I can do all of that now at home. However, I am a solo trainer, so if you get motivation from others, definitely hit up some spin classes. Some local gyms even have trainer classes where you can bring your bike and trainer (optional, b/c they usually have a limited number you can use). If you find you constantly are at max gear and resistance on your bike and trainer and not getting your HR up...you might want to just focus on drills to improve technique and just work on your endurance. Good luck!