Karma Reminder: Don't Brag, K is a B!

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
Just yesterday I was bragging how this summer I've yet to be bitten by a mosquito. I was attributing it to my LCHF diet, as there's less sugar in my blood thus making me not as yummy as my carby friends/family. Well, today little ms karma decided to put me in my place. I had a mosquito get in my house and munch on me. Now I'm all itchy.... I just killed that SOB, but not until she made me an itchy mess.... thanks Karma... lesson re-learned......oh and you're a B!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    :D LOL

I'm the type of person who people like to have around when outdoors because the mosquitos will all go for me. I have a few bites on each limb at any given time during the summer. The same goes for one of my three boys. Bugs love us... and it didn't change when I changed my diet either. In fact, my son who is bitten a lot is a carb-o-holic. Go figure.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I used to be total mosquito bait pre-Keto and that should also explain what I HATE mosquitos with a passion above any other kind of bug out there; however, after going Keto, I get very few bites during the summer as compared to the awfulness of how it used to be for me pre-K. My secret weapon: Avon's Skin So Soft....nice smelling perfume...mosquito repellent (NOT KIDDING)!!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I live in one of the worst mosquito habitats you can imagine! There are clouds of them around here... swarms! It's crazy.
    I get bit lots, and bad. I remind myself that "mosquitos pollinate chocolate... mosquitos pollinate chocolate... mosquitos pollinate chocolate..." This somehow makes them more bearable! Haha!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yep, I inherited my tasty blood from my dad. He's a carb man and I'm definitely Low Carb and my bite to square inch of skin ratio never changed with my diet. I sell Avon and only the new SSS Bug Guard spray works for me, at least it doesn't make me ill and melt plastic like Muskol or Deep Woods Off. Unfortunately it only works for an hour or two on me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm "that person" too. This summer at an outdoor dinner party for work people were freaking out because I looked like "pig pen" from Charlie Brown, but it was mosquitos swarming around me. While wearing mosquito repellant.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked I haven't come down with West Nile Virus quite frankly. Those *kitten* swarm around me no matter what I try. And to top it off I'm super sensitive to bug bites (I have really fair skin - maybe the the issue?) so I swell up really big and often end up scarring. It's really awesome. Effing mosquitoes.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've noticed no change in how many bites i get keto vs not. Urban legend growing? ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    No change with me regarding mosquitos.

We have a lot of tics in North Carolina. I was clearing out my little 72 sq.ft. of raised beds the other day and ended up with 3 tics on me. Tics are not only in the woods.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a rarity. I'm an epic mosquito magnet. However, when I was fully keto, I never got touched...even higher low carb and they left me alone 95% of the time. Got my first bite the other day, actually... However, getting back to essential oils and unscented lotions, etc. has really gotten them to back off some.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    EFFING MOSQUITOS!!!!
    75no64etyamm.jpg
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that garlic and B-1 will keep the bugs at bay. Since I've been using those, 0 bites. I quit them about 2 weeks ago for lab work today and I've gotten 2 bites this week. May be nothing, may be something, but it keeps those horrible deer flies away, too. I'll be taking them again starting tomorrow.
  • kpk54
    Options
    I was reading the same about the garlic and B1 after googling when the topic came up. Another interesting factoid was that it is only the female mosquito that bites and feeds on blood. Something about laying her eggs.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I have always been unusually attractive to mosquitos and ticks, biting flies, etc. Keto/no_keto does not seem to have any impact. I smoke a pipe, and that seems to help keep them at a safe distance while I am the walking smudge pot.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I think I've gotten more mosquito bites since being keto than before. However it's still much less than the average person. My husband however is a mosquito magnet. Usually if I stick with him they'll avoid me. I guess he's tastier. lol.
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    2t9nty, I think that you would be better off with a few mosquito bites, it's better for the lungs!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Mosquito not a big deal but horse flies and ticks are a different story.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Mosquito not a big deal but horse flies and ticks are a different story.

OMG YES! Horse flies are evil littler effers! I've never felt a non-poisonous/non-sting bite hurt so bad in my life! My family is from Maine. So I'm well aquatinted with horse flies. And midgies!!! The swarm of microscopic teeth that gives you 1 million bites a second! Those guys too. Eradicate them! Asap!
  • kpk54
    Options
    I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Google says only the female midge bites...
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    poli22 wrote: »
    2t9nty, I think that you would be better off with a few mosquito bites, it's better for the lungs!

If I were inhaling, you would be right. As it is, the hygienist at the dentist office complains about the stains on my teeth. That is about it from the medical establishment in terms of concern. I think my PCP considers smoking a pipe to be the same as "non-smoker."
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Mosquitoes lurve me, keto or not keto.