Pre-surgery shopping for post-surgery- Opinions...

Options
Ok, I need some help. I am hoping Surgery will be within a month to two months and I am doing all that I can to prepare. I have made changes to my eating habits and have already begun testing protein shakes as recommended by my NUT. I also have a friend that will be having Sleeve surgery around the same time so we are "testing" together.

Some of the things that I am looking to purchase, but have no clue what to buy....

Protein Shaker (with a smaller size mouth piece and a smaller size bottle, under 16 oz.)

Looking for protein shake samples (I know there is other posts about this but it changes so frequently, I am wondering if anyone has found any recently)

A small plate (I am wondering if there is something out there in the WLS world), maybe has portion sizes, etc.

Small Spoons

I already have a magic bullet, food scale

What else did you find helpful to be prepared with...

Replies

• suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My favorite protein shake was Champion Nutrition Chocolate. I would look around on the internet and see who sold it for the least expensive and order one to two huge containers of it. It was so long ago, I can't remember the website.

I, too, bought baby spoons and used them for a little bit.

My mom also bought me a body pillow which helped when I finally could lie down. I "slept" in the recliner for the 1st 2-3 weeks. I had RNY and was opened up (they also took my gallbladder and my surgeon said it was the worse he had ever seen).

I didn't really buy too much in preparation for it except my vitamins and protein really.

Good luck to you! :)
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I googled protien powder samples and found a bunch. I can't remember who we ended up buying from because we checked the same brands on Amazon, EBay, etc until we found the cheapest price. I do know we got like 16 little packets for $9.99 I think.... Good Luck! Also, I used the baby spoons and the saucers that came with my plates (maybe they were supposed to be for bread or putting your tea cup on..... )
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I googled protien powder samples and found a bunch. I can't remember who we ended up buying from because we checked the same brands on Amazon, EBay, etc until we found the cheapest price. I do know we got like 16 little packets for $9.99 I think.... Good Luck! Also, I used the baby spoons and the saucers that came with my plates (maybe they were supposed to be for bread or putting your tea cup on..... )

I was told that there is a difference between protein powders and meal replacements. Also that I needed to use ones that are meant for weight loss surgery patients. Now I don't know if this pertains to those who have had or are having lapband or the sleeve--I had RNY. I know that Bariatric Advantage, Celebrate, and Bariatric Fusion are great products for this purpose. The Fusion is much cheaper than the others, but I haven't tried it. I love the Bariatric Advantage Vanilla and the Orange Cream. I also like the taste best with unsweetened vanilla almond milk--it makes the shakes very creamy. I also add extra liquid to that 2 scoops or I find it just too thick to be palatable. As for plates, I bought a couple very small saucers (teacup size) and use some very small bowls (like the tiny lite pimento cheese bowl) and save them for use later--no extra cost there. I have a couple of baby spoons and forks, but find that as time has gone on I can get the same size bite with regular silverware--it's a learning process. I used a full size shaker cup and still learned to sip. It came with my Bariatric Advantage package that I got from my surgeon and dietitian the week before my surgery. I really don't use my shakes much any longer and didn't after my surgery. I had a 1 week liquid diet pre op that I used them and after the surgery, did my clear liquid, full liquid, puree, and soft stage. Then when I moved on the regular foods I made it a point to get my protein by eating real food. Hope everything goes well for you and that your experience is as great as mine has been.
  • elainepote
    elainepote Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I buy GNC Lean Shakes. I compared them to the one I got from my dietitian, as good or better. As for powders, I bought Isopure unflavored whey isolate so I can make it anything I want, bonus is it can be mixed with any food later. I bought a baby plate with sections at first. The plate held exactly one container of veggies in each of 2 spaces and one container of an entrée in the other. I advanced to a salad plate from my reg. dishes. My flatware has café spoons, so use them. I'm 7.5 weeks post-op, so I'm really almost done with the "getting well" portion of things. I've been about 2 weeks ahead of schedule on everything since surgery. Eating, walking, and fills. Oh! I had a lap band, btw. I've lost 33 pounds, but I'm kind of at a stall. I'm having my 2nd fill on Tuesday. Maybe I'll progress. Another thing you might try, I bought some cute little hors d`oeuvre servers for a Christmas party. Tiny little bowls, tiny little plates AND tiny little fork, knife and spoon. I think I bought them at a party store. They are very cute. Another thing I've been doing is Bento boxes. When I eat away from home I prepare lunch in a Bento box I bought online at Amazon (but be careful, mine was broken upon arrival). Anyway, I love gadgets and I made my way to the Dollar Store and bought silly little things to eat and drink from, things to make it fun. I hope this has been helpful. I wish you the best of luck in your WLS and life. Ciao, MissElaineous
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Things for hospital: big knickers!!! You will want to cover up and be comfy too. I also bought a nightshirt as I found pjs too difficult to manage. A sports bottle with liquid measurements on so you can sip, sip, sip your way. I also took in a spray bottle as straight after the op I couldn't drink but I had such a dry mouth and I was allowed to spray water in as much as I wanted. Make sure you take in comfy and loose clothes. I also took a pillow in to use in the car on the way home.

Make sure you have all your meds sorted. You will need dissolvable at first so it may be worth a docs visit so you have it all in hand.

Don't prep lots of food as you may find your tastes change after your op. I was sleeved too and found the first few weeks interesting. Pureed meat was interesting! Use herbs, spices and seasoning to make the food as tasty as you can.

Oh and try to give up anything fizzy now as you won't be able to have it afterwards. My surgeon said that I am the best doctor for me and I have found that is the case. I have learned what my body likes and doesn't like.

Good luck, it is life changing.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Great idea to gear up now instead of waiting! One thing you might find usefull is a funnel... esp if you want to use a smaller bottle for mixing shakes. The scoops that come withthe various protein powders are wider than some of the mouths of the bottles you'll be using. A funnel was a must for me! I like the smaller bottles, too.... they are 1/5th the cost of a "shaker cup". I went to the Dollar store and loaded up on 12-16 oz plastic bottles. The protein powder, water or milk, and a couple ice cubes shaken in that works just fine.

I'd also ask your doc ahead of time about a laxative. This will mess with your bowels for awhile. I used miralax and it was a HUGE help!

I like the liquid drops to flavor water - MIO, Aldis has a nice version... I'm not a big plain water fan, so that helps me get it down!

A tape measure! I did NOT measure prior to surgery and wish I had. You'll go through "stalls" on the scale, but will be losing inches, esp if you work out. I could tell from my clothes, but it would have been nice to track that as well.

Best of luck! You will love this!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    PS - we order our protein powder online from Vitacost. Optimum Nutrition. Low carb, tastes great - we like the chocolate.

If you enjoy coffee (and ask your doc - they all have different opinions but mine thinks it's fine to have! ) and if you like it flavored, someone turned me on to Syntrax protein powders. They make AMAZING flavors (I like mint chocolate cookie - tastes like a thin mint!) and they disolve quickly and completely in hot beverages. It has replaced the liquid flavored creamers I was using, which are from the pit of Hell they are so high calorie and carby! I also use a splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk with it. Creamy, delisious, protein-rich coffee! YUM!

Syntrax also makes some really yummy fruit-flavored protein drink mixes. They are refreshing and nice for a change.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I drank Nectar Chocolate Truffle protein powder with skim milk pre op and still now post op almost 13 months out. Bariatric Choice sells 2 pounds jug of it for $34.99 plus free shipping on orders $50 or more. You can get sample packs at Vitamin Shoppe and GNC or check online. I bought samples of Unjury, Nectar, Jay Robb, Chike and couple others all online. Shaker bottle I bought at Walmart and still use the same one 13 months post op! I didn't use baby spoons not necessary I don't think. Your an adult so why would you need baby spoons?!?! I used small plates I already had with my dishes. Sugar Free popsicles will be good to have on hand too also.
    To take to hospital:
    Toothbrush, PJ pants, slippers, cell phone/charger, comb/brush, clean bra/undies (I wore the same loose jogging pants and top in that I wore home). Reading materials That is about it cause anything else you need they will supply. Chapstick also.
  • VickiS78
    VickiS78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    JuzDult,
    I'm on the Syntrax website, but there are so many options. What type of powder is it you bought exactly? Thanks!
  • marieboyles
    Options
    Prior to my surgery and in the first 3 months after I exclusively used bariatric fusion. Loved the mint chocolate and orange cream flavors mixed with skim milk. I have now discovered syntrax and I often combine 1/2 scoop bariatric fusion orange cream flavor with 1/2 scoop of sytrax fuzzy naval flavor with water and then chill with ice. I have this most mornings to start my day. Prior to surgery I bought sugar free jello, and popsicles. It helps with getting in fluids in the beginning. Vanilla yogurt, cream of wheat, and chicken broth were also things I found helpful to have on hand in the beginning. I can now eat just about anything in small amounts and I am 4 months post op. Lots of people talk about using baby spoons etc, but I didn't find this necessary. I just put small amounts on the tip of the spoon or fork. In the beginning I just put most of my meals in a ramakin or on a sandwich plate. I now weigh or measure everything before it goes on my plate, so the size of the plate doesn't matter to me. One thing I do have is a 1/2 cup measuring serving spoon which I find convenient when eating at the table with my family so that I know how much I am putting on my plate.
  • alchaley
    Options
    They Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel flavor is great and I just ordered the Cappucino flavor also. It's great to use as a shake or to add to your coffee as a creamer (with protein!) Samples is the way to go until you find what you like.
    I recommend doing a protein powder swap with some of your friends who also have powders. We did one at our support group that was a great success!
  • MDixon26
    MDixon26 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My favorite shake is Premier Protein Chocolate. They are pre-mixed and I buy them at my Sam's Club, but I know a lot of grocery stores carry them as well (their website will give you that info if you want it.) They have 30g of protein, only 3 fat and 1 sugar. Best of all, for me, they aren't thick like most shakes.

Post surgery I could not handle the shakes I had tested pre-surgery as they were all too thick and hard to get down. I ended up finding these based on my nutritionists recommendation and don't know what I would have done with out them! Another suggested I would make is Friendship cottage cheese if you like cottage cheese. The 1% has 16g of protein in 1/2 a cup!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My surgeon's office has a store and I get my protein shake powder through them. It's Syntrax Nectar and yes it comes in individual pouches. You should be able to google the name and see what they've got. This brand tastes great and has all the nutients we WLS patients need.

I never did the baby spoon and smaller plate thing. It wasn't suggested, but I can see where it would help. I still eat way too fast so I may try the spoon to see if that slows me down some. The salad plates that come with a set of dishes should work for the smaller plate you are looking for.

For the hospital, loose, easy to get on pants. You will have the IV hook up, making wearing a robe difficult, but you will need to get up and walk a lot. Pajama pants or something similar covers your backside well for walking. Slippers or sandals, something easy to slip on and off, again for walking.

My hospital gave me a water bottle. I actually use it at the office now to remind me to get my water in during the day. Yours might do that as well. As for a shaker, they sell them at most department stores and they aren't real pricey. Just make sure to get one with the spinner in the top to help break up clumps. I also bought a very small food processor for the pureed stage. Smaller protions just didn't work well in my big blender. This was a combo thing with 2 other attachments (a wisk and an imersion tool) that work well for blending the protein shakes. My husband bought me a small smoothie maker that holds about 16 ounces and has a lid you can drink from. Love that for my protein shakes at home.

That's all I can think of. Good luck!!