SEPTEMBER Gratitude and chatting

Options
retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
This year has flown by. We are at the beginning of feasting season again. Labor Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, <inset your winter holy days here>and the New Year.

Be prepared this year. Would love to hear what others will be planning for the feasting season.
Somethings I will be doing to maintain include:
Concentrate on what I can eat & drink and stay on plan, not what I shouldn't be having.

Pick one thing for each holiday that I must have or do to feel like it is the holiday. For the winter holiday, it is a trip to the Botanical Gardens to see the holiday lighting. It doesn't have to be all about the food.

This year I will use up some things I have in the cupboard to make gifts to give to my neighbors, I have a lot of really nice flours and wonderful maple syrup, so I will do some breads and possibly cookies to give away. I still love bread baking and the process of doing that, so I will, just won't eat the end product.

For Halloween, I will have my own dark chocolate fat bombs, who wants cheap candy when you can have creamy delicious dark chocolates???

Labor Day we will grill up steaks with a large salad full of veggies, easy cook, and easy cleanup what can be better than that?

Thanksgiving will probably be the fondue meal. I use ham cubes, cauliflower, broccoli, and sliced apples for dipping, not bread. I will, because my husband has requested it, be making a keto pumpkin cheesecake pie again this year. It isn't Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie.

Replies

• Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Yes the feasting season is upon us. I am less concerned about it as I find that I really don't eat as much as I used to. I found that being active and exercising makes it easier for me to enjoy the holidays.

As for gratitude, I am grateful that my hip surgery is behind me. The prehab exercises helped my body prepare for the trauma of surgery and made my rehab easier. I didn't gain any weight during the recovery either. I have been able to resume most activities in a short time. I won't be jogging though anytime soon haha
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Grateful to be feeling better. Grateful I found an indoor pool. Grateful for 4 wonderful yoga teachers. Grateful my kids in Texas are safe and happy. Grateful I don't have to worry about money, either too much or too little. Grateful for the fact that I have so much food and so many choices available to me. Yes, it is hard to make the right choices, but definitely a more pleasant problem than not having enough food and trying to cope.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Grateful for another beautiful warm day of summer.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I just had my children and grandchildren for the weekend, and today I realize I am grateful that they live close enough for weekend sleepovers.
  • Mariang165
    Mariang165 Posts: 2,115 Member
    Options
    Grateful I live in a neighbourhood with a lovely park with a pond!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Mariang165, I feel the same way. Our pond attracts lots of wild life, ducks, geese, coyotes, etc. The sunsets are gorgeous from there too.
  • Mariang165
    Options
    Today is the perfect weather day for me, warm, blue skies and no humidity, so grateful as I think of what the people in the path of hurricane Irma are facing!
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    September brings mixed blessing for me ! I'm grateful for the change of colors coming however I always feel sad about the summer leaving. Our summer in Upstate NY was not the best this year, lot's of rain and cooler than usual days. Summer is too short for me, I wish it would last as long as winter does!!
    We ( mostly me ) have everything to be grateful for so many are suffering beyond imagination. The devastation in Texas, all those families that have lost everything. Now that unbelievable monster of a storm that is just wiping out all those beautiful islands and everything the islanders own.
    We have a condo on the gulf side of Florida. Largo, Florida 2 miles from Indian Rocks beach. Just waiting to see whats to come. I wish you all a great day !!
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    We have a pond in our backyard as well...after 5 years, we still can't believe we really live here. It's like being on vacation. Lots of wildlife; birds, deer, foxes, squirrels.. (the little pests).

isxvb1ubtfg9.jpg

• retirehappy
    Options
    CrisEBTrue, that looks very peaceful. And squirrels are a PITA. We used to have foxes in the neighborhood, but some disease wiped them out, the coyotes are not as comfortable in the 'hood but they have moved in, they don't seem to be into much squirrel hunting like the foxes were.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Thought this weekly challenge fit the gratitude category - "The Happiness Jar"

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10596169/sept-11-weekly-challenge-the-happiness-jar#latest
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Found an interesting BMI calculator today, give it at try:

http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/
  • retirehappy
    Options
    mxchana, I really liked the memes on that thread.
  • Mariang165
    Options
    Happy I have the freedom to change my plans for today. Felt very tired today so decided some of my today tasks can wait until tomorrow. House duties can wait but I did get out for a walk this morning which did clear my head a little! Cloudy this morning and now the sun has just come out so our front room is filled with beautiful sunshine!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Found this great conversion program page. If you need to check on what nutrients are in an amount of a food, try this site for accurate information, I'm putting up cashews, since that is what drew me to the site. But you can search on tons of other items.

http://convert-to.com/597/natural-raw-cashew-nuts-conversion-with-nutritional-facts.html