Cheese

Options

What is the best shredded cheese to use when making recipes? Mexican etc. I believe the bagged shredded has more carbs. Do you buy the block cheese and shred it or do you find it better with the liquid cheese Etc?

Replies

• eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just buy large blocks of cheese and shred them through my food processor. The extra that doesn't get used, I store in my freezer in ziplock bags. Not as convenient as preshredded cheese, but I'll whiz up a variety of cheeses at one time so it is ready when I need it.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with 'convenience' foods - and I include SOME pre-prepared vegetables and cheese in this form; the manufacturers always add something by way of a preservative of some kind.
    I have to say, I'm very 'Old-School'. I don't purchase pre-prepared anything. I spiralise my own carrots and courgettes; I grate my own cheese (of whatever type) I roast my own chicken, I make all my own sauces from scratch and I leave little to some unknown hands which add goodness-knows-what, to food that should be natural and nutritious.

I do realise that people have families; they're time-driven, and sometimes, buying ready-prepared foods is quicker and convenient. I get that. I'm honestly not having a go. I'm just saying that we pay (in more ways than one) for the convenience of having stuff ready pre-prepared, so I don't indulge in them.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Most of the time the pre-shredded cheeses have some kind of starch on them to prevent sticking and clumping. That means extra carbs just for the sake of convenience. I shred my own.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I grate mine on Sundays when I meal prep. It keeps well in an airtight container. Quick and easy :-)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I grate mine on Sundays when I meal prep. It keeps well in an airtight container. Quick and easy :-)

Known as the Great Grate-Fest, no doubt! :D
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love to use this to shred all our cheese. Talk about fast and easy. You just put in chunks of cheese and turn it on. I've even shredded cheese right onto the pizza, lol. Easy to clean and stores away nicely because it's a small item. https://smile.amazon.com/Presto-02910-Shooter-Electric-Shredder/dp/B00006IV0R/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1504476103&sr=1-1&keywords=cheese+shredder
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    I love to use this to shred all our cheese. Talk about fast and easy. You just put in chunks of cheese and turn it on. I've even shredded cheese right onto the pizza, lol. Easy to clean and stores away nicely because it's a small item. https://smile.amazon.com/Presto-02910-Shooter-Electric-Shredder/dp/B00006IV0R/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1504476103&sr=1-1&keywords=cheese+shredder

Ehhh, I've already spent a ton of money on Amazon this weekend, what's $30 more :D It will be nice to stop buying bags of cheese once I run out of what I've got.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I usually just buy shredded cheese. So much easier and the amount of carbs are negligible.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually buy the already shredded parmesan at costco, but block and hand shred for just about everything else unless time is an issue.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    @tcunbeliever, the one thing it's difficult to find in Italy is DRIED grated parmesan. You can buy freshly-grated, vacuum-packed, but the dried stuff in pots? They'd rather die than eat that stuff!! :D
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy and I only have the tiniest of food processors so I always buy pre-shredded cheese. It's never seemed to cause me any issues.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    What is the best shredded cheese to use when making recipes? Mexican etc. I believe the bagged shredded has more carbs. Do you buy the block cheese and shred it or do you find it better with the liquid cheese Etc?

I use both. The little bit of potato starch or cellulose in pre-shredded stuff has never been something I've mentally or physically struggled with. I do think block cheese generally has more flavor.

That said, block cheese is something I will over eat. It is quite easy to cut off an ounce, then another, then another. It's a behavioral thing with me that has nothing to do with hunger.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Block cheese is like peanut butter... one more chunk (spoonful) won't hurt...
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Runny Brie gets me.... or Buffalo mozzarella....or Cancoillotte, which sadly, is totally unavailable outside Franche Comté...!