Confused...

Options
Saturday I did everything wrong, but My numbers were great...I don't get it.

Skipped breakfast and forgot to take my metformin
Lunch (11:30am) Ate 2 McDoubles and a small fry from McDonald's
12:30 remembered to take my metformin
4:30 Took my mom out for her birthday had a 20oz draft beer, Big burger on a bun, potato salad
6:30 Took my blood sugar it was 72.

I was expecting it to be super high with all those carbs...what happened?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hmm.

When stress is low, BG is easier to manage (lower cortisol I believe). Maybe being rested and relaxed helped?

Alcohol slows liver gluconeogenesis. The beer may have helped reduce BG by not letting the liver make as much.

You tested 2 hours after a bunch of carbs. It may have been much higher 1 hour earleir. My insulin resistance led to reactive hypoglycemia - my BG rises quickly but then I overcompensate with too much insulin. At 2 hours post prandial my BG is usually lower than before I ate... In fact, to bring down my morning BG, I eat. LOL
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Hmm.

When stress is low, BG is easier to manage (lower cortisol I believe). Maybe being rested and relaxed helped?

Alcohol slows liver gluconeogenesis. The beer may have helped reduce BG by not letting the liver make as much.

You tested 2 hours after a bunch of carbs. It may have been much higher 1 hour earleir. My insulin resistance led to reactive hypoglycemia - my BG rises quickly but then I overcompensate with too much insulin. At 2 hours post prandial my BG is usually lower than before I ate... In fact, to bring down my morning BG, I eat. LOL

I agree...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Careful with metformin and alcohol until you know how you react. The combination can cause delayed lows, which may be what you're seeing with the 72.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Careful with metformin and alcohol until you know how you react. The combination can cause delayed lows, which may be what you're seeing with the 72.

Interesting! Can you fill in any details?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Unfortunately no, I'm just repeated what I've read on diabetic forums since I don't drink. Some people were saying they had given up drinking with metformin because the day after wasn't worth it. I believe there's also a warning in the literature they give you at the pharmacy, will have to look.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Unfortunately no, I'm just repeated what I've read on diabetic forums since I don't drink. Some people were saying they had given up drinking with metformin because the day after wasn't worth it. I believe there's also a warning in the literature they give you at the pharmacy, will have to look.

I almost never drink and didn't give a second thought...I will now! Thanks for the info, I'll look into it for sure.