What does a day look like for you?

Options
BodyByButter
BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
edited September 2017 in Social Groups
I'm sure this has been done before, but I crave new posts to read so I'm just going to put this out there. I gain a lot of inspiration from seeing what other people eat.

My situation: doctor told me to eat less than 100 carbs a day because my triglycerides are high. I'm aiming for 50-60 and 1600 calories. So I'm not keto but still seeing great results from changing my way of life. My typical day might look different from yours, but we all have to find what works for us.

Breakfast:
3 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, 1.5 C of milk
OR
"Noatmeal" (addicted to the stuff recently) made with almond milk and regular milk to drink.
Recipe http://screwedonstraight.net/noatmeal-for-breakfast-keto-oatmeal/

Breakfast keeps me full until about 2 pm, and that's when we have lunch/early dinner. Lately we have been doing Home Chef meals because they have a lot that come in at around 20 carbs, and it's convenient for us. So this meal is always some sort of meat plus veggies and some fat.

I'm usually not hungry for a full dinner, so some evenings I will grab pistachios or another snack. If I'm actually hungry I often make tuna salad and eat it on a low carb wrap.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    If you haven't seen these yet, check out these threads:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274397/what-does-your-low-carb-meals-look-like#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10535785/post-your-keto-dinner-pics#latest

Personally, I am pretty boring. 75-80% of the time I take a hunk of meat, seasonings, etc and throw them in a crock pot on Sunday. I will sometimes add a veggie for the last hour or so and/or some Miracle Rice. That gets divided up for my weekday lunches.

I rarely if ever eat breakfast anymore, or rather I should say, I rarely eat a morning meal. Technically, my breakfast comes as lunch.

Eggs are a staple for me, although I have not eaten them as often the last few weeks. It is normal for me to eat 15-20 a week in various ways with the most common probably being making a big skillet scramble with bacon or sausage along with some jalapeños and cheese.

Other dinners generally include a meat and a veggie. Lately, we have started having steak cooked in ghee on Sunday nights. That is a great way to prepare for the week and have a nice family dinner.

Getting rid of sugar and other sweeteners has helped me taste food so much better that it has turned me into a pretty good improv cook. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Other meats I like to cook would be ribs or pork butt on the smoker (or anything on the smoker really), pork rind crusted pork chops, lamb chops, hamburger steak (great if you mix crumbled bacon inside of it), etc.

Most common veggies are asparagus baked with EVOO, salt and pepper until just a bit crisp, steamed broccoli, brussels sprouts diced and sauteed in bacon grease with bacon crumbles, parmesan and garlic. Of course there are many uses of cauliflower. One of my favorites I used to do a lot but hadn't for a while until this weekend was mix the florets with melted butter and Frank's Buffalo sauce and bake at 250 for about 45-55 minutes. My wife thought I was crazy until she tried it and now she wants me to make it again.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My routine is changing a lot due to implementing fasting in various forms, but typically:

4 strips of thick cut bacon/4 eggs/half an avocado for my first meal, some cheddar melted on the eggs and some salsa on them - this is rarely when i wake up. If I wake up at 10am, this will usually happen between 2pm-3pm. I'm not intentionally aiming for 16/8 intermittent fasting, but that's usually what happens. I can eat this 350 days a year easily. If I have extra veggies cut up sometimes I'll make an omelette instead and add onion/green pepper/mushroom.

For dinner, I rotate between chicken (either roasting a whole organic chicken or baking chicken thighs), pork chops, ground beef (in a "taco salad" format, or soft taco style with low carb tortillas), fish (whatever is "wild caught" at Costco, usually Cod or Salmon), steak, and shrimp. The last three slightly less if I'm trying to save money. For all of these I look for meals as simple as possible... just baking the pork chops in some random spices, browning the ground beef and throwing it in with taco style stuff with minimal prep, occasionally i'll wrap bacon around the fish, but usually its just heavily seasoned and baked, etc. I usually have either frozen green beans or frozen broccoli that I steam.

I keep walnuts, costco hot dogs, deli sliced pepperoni, homemade sauerkraut, onions, green peppers, avocado, sour cream, salsa, and cheese in my house at all times. Most days I eat a serving of walnuts (weighed out, 30g = 200 calories), I'll have a hot dog or some pepperoni if I'm extra hungry and want a snack in addition to the two big meals and some walnuts.

I love the food I make, I feel like I eat VERY well, but most days, minimal effort is critical to me. I very occasionally get the urge to do something more complicated and will look up keto recipes and make a special grocery run to make something fancier and specific, but this covers me for literally months at a time.
  • rcervetto
    rcervetto Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Whole 30 now so here's a typical day:

Breakfast: 3 egg veggie omelet (spinach, tomato, onion, bell pepper, mushroom) - pretty consistent, only thing I can get at work that's filling enough and compliant

Lunch: large salad with chicken breast, veggies and vinaigrette or chicken breast/hamburger patty with broccoli or mixed veggies

Dinner is most varied, usually look up some Whole 30 recipe. A quick and easy one is essentially a stir fry with ground beef or cut up chicken and whatever veggies are on hand in coconut oil and spices.

Don't usually snack but if I do it might be a handful of nuts or a couple pieces dried fruit or an apple with almond butter.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...life and food is pretty flexible around here. My husband (thin and a non dieter) has always been a pretty natural 1 meal a day guy so we focus on only 1 meal and that is our late meal which is usually between 8 and 10 PM. It is most often fish or meat and a vegetable. He adds a starch.

We're on own for breakfast and lunch. He'll have black coffee and if he gets hungry mid day he'll have a couple of crackers with peanut butter or a chunk of leftover meat from the fridge.

I am a 2 or 3 meal a day person. My "go to" foods at any given time of the day are: decaf with half and half, eggs and cream cheese, egg and veg omelets, Greek yogurt and berries, meat/cheese roll-ups of any variety, salad with canned tuna or some leftover meat. I've been eating sardines cuz Dom D'Agostino. LOL. I'll eat a decent quantity of almonds or peanut butter and call it a meal. Any leftover meat and/or vegetable.

I looked at a few recent diary entries for dinner. Shrimp, Triggerfish, Hamburger, Rib Roast, Pizza (toppings), Shrimp/steak stirfry, flounder, Roast chicken. All included a vegetable. Right now I'm into kale and Swiss chard but cauliflower, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, collards, whatever.

It's 3 PM and I have nothing planned for dinner. Oops. I have a chicken carcass/broth on the stove so might make some kind of chicken soup. Or crab legs which thaw quickly. If it quits raining I'll walk to the store and get some salmon. I see it is on sale this week. Collards. We'll have fresh collards. I'll make those too if not soup. Taboulah and coleslaw are leftovers in the fridge from Labor Day. Need to get those worked in. I keep carbs under 50 total.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    breakfast is black coffee or americano (espresso and hot water)

lunch is a salad, usually with either 4 eggs or a can of tuna, romaine or spinach, bleu cheese dressing or rarely caesar

dinner is usually some kind of hot vegetable with maybe eggs or seafood

perch is on the menu tomorrow - yay
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    A typical day for me can vary but for the most part I don't usually have a morning meal just green tea and water until lunch at around 11am or so. Once it really starts to cool off I will switch over to coffee in the morning.

I usually go for a brisk walk in the morning nothing strenuous since I don't want to go back to the office sweaty.

Lunch usually consists of a cobb, caesar (no croutons), or chef salad (no croutons or bread) with chicken or turkey and sometimes ham or some grilled chicken breasts and cooked veggies (broccoli, asparagus, etc.). Once in a great while I will get a cheese omelette with other protein options if I find a place that makes breakfast all day long (Beware IHOP puts pancake batter in their omelettes but you can request not to have it added)

I might have a snack which is usually some nuts or a Raw Rev Glo bar. I am currently trying some Paleo granola which is not bad for a snack.

Before dinner I usually work out (cardio and weights) its roughly 5 days a week since I am in class two of those days.

Dinner will usually consist of something low carb but vegan (happy wife happy life). So it will either be an Orgain protein shake with chia and psyllium husk and some almonds or some Gardein or other fake meat like protein in a salad depending on my carb count for the day. My source for low carb tortillas dried up (probably not a bad thing) so I will have to find some new way to make soft tacos or wraps. Anyone tried the Paleo wraps? Last night I made a Gardein "chicken" Scalopini stir fry with kale, tomatoes, and Miracle rice which was pretty good. Properly prepared Miracle rice and noodles have become my friend. Zoodles are good as well when things are in season.

Most of the time I try to keep my net carbs between 30-50. Sometimes I am lower other times higher but so long as I keep losing inches and lbs I am doing OK. I would probably lower my net carbs if I wasn't working out.

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Mine is boring and borderline neurotic.

Wake up, eat lean protein and reduced fat cheese, or fat free greek yogurt/lowfat cottage cheese with whey protein and maybe some berries. Go to work then go home to eat a lunch of lean protein, egg whites, and veggies, or fat free greek yogurt/lowfat cottage cheese with whey protein and maybe some berries. Pre-workout protein bar, lift heavy things for 1 - 2 hours, watch anime and head to bed.

Rinse and repeat psmf M-F, Saturday refeed with ad lib calories, Sunday maintenance calories. Do this for about 1-2 months, then take a 2 week diet break, and go back to psmf hell.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I typically have 2 eggs with 2 slices of bacon and coffee with HWC for breakfast. Sometimes I have an additional protein source.

Lunch is often a can of Great Value Chunk Chicken and an ounce of peanuts. It is easy, and I can keep it in my desk at work. If I go out I get a bacon cheeseburger with no bun or fries.

Supper is typically 8 oz of meat and some greens or some broccoli. I like sautéed cabbage.

I drink a gallon of Crystal Light every day, and I mix in that gallon a teaspoon of Morton's Lite Salt, a teaspoon of magnesium sulphate and a 1/4 cup of ACV.

Today I had three scrambled eggs, coffee w/ HWC and 6 oz of leftover turkey for breakfast.

Lunch was the chunk chicken and peanuts.

Supper was 8 oz of pan fried beef liver with 2 pieces of bacon,1/2 cup of fried onions and 1/2 cup of sautéed mushrooms.

This was 1,590 calories, 15 net carbs, 70 grams of fat, 188 grams of protein, and 4195 mg of sodium.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    you can see my diary I'm public. but i'm 5'2" and 1200-1400 calories a day...
    workout 730-830 ish
    2 eggs and avocado or cream cheese
    with black coffee 1 stevia and 1 Tb heavy cream

lunch tuna with mayo mustard and franks or applegate turkey with havarti and mustard or
    chicken and romaine with blue cheese dressing

snack quest bar if i'm craving sweets or starving otherwise nothing or coffee and cream or string cheese and olives

dinner burger with provolone and sugar free bbq sauce and rice cauliflower or zuchini noodles in coconut oil and meat balls [chopped up burger lol]

lots of water
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    and i budget for 1-2 glasses of red wine and/or vodka with sparkling ice per week
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty boring too.

Breakfast is coffee with some protein powder and a bit of coconut oil.

Lunch is usually around 1 or 2pm, and is often a couple of pepperoni sticks and a handful of nuts. Sometimes it's a can of tuna (or some other fish) and mayo, or 2 scrambled eggs.

Dinner is meat, cheese and veggies. Today was a couple tablespoons of refried beans, taco seasoned beef, cheese, sour cream, and few raw veggies. My biggest meal.

If I snack, it will be cheese or nuts. Maybe a diet cola.

I am mostly maintaining but trying to eat a bit under that.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    When I get up: 2c black coffee, water with magnesium in it and my pre-eats supplements.
    Around 3 or 4 pm - breakfast is a protein bar if I am on the run with errands, or some quickie pepperoni and cheese, or other equally non fuss protein like a can of tuna in olive oil, or pickled eggs.

Dinner with hubby at 6 or 7 pm - my favorites are quick stirfries with whatever veggies are on sale that week & add whatever protein I feel like (shrimp, chicken, pork loin strips, turkey breast, steak cut into strips). I change them up with homemade coconut curry sauces, or Szechuan seasonings, or 5 Spice Powder and Bragg's. Taco Salad with extra guac & cheese hold the chips. Sometimes I make 'riceless Paella' or 'Spanish Caulirice'. Fathead pizza when I want to fuss. Plain old steak or chicken on the BBQ with steamed or grilled veggies. Chicken Caesar Salad (no croutons) with extra bacon. Frittata with lots of veggies in it. etc. etc.

Sometimes for a snack I have 85%+ dark chocolate, or a few berries with plain high fat Greek yogourt, or a vodka and diet tonic/soda & lime, or a good whiskey neat. I have been known to combine Muscle Milk 100 Chocolate with 2 or 3 extra garlic baby dills - in the same snack but not in the same mouthful. :p
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I have no routine at all. I usually skip breakfast, because I'm neither hungry, nor feel like eating.
    So, on any given day, more or less:

Morning break; hard boiled egg, black coffee with cream.
    Afternoon break: Roasted chicken thigh & drumstick, some kind of vegetable (raw or cooked) and home-made paleo mayo.
    Dinner: Tuna fish. or sashimi. Maybe even a steak.

See? I told you I had no real routine.
    Heck, I just grab what's good and what I got, and eat as I fancy. I hardly ever plan....
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    I am so boring I some times do not even want to eat and this is a little too far off the other side. Sigh. I just came in to report on another thread from awhile ago and saw this. I would say do not do as I say or do. My usual day is one chicken thigh with skin for breakfast usually about 11AM. Two chicken thighs for dinner usually about PM. Maybe a cheese stick amd a small hand full of pumpkin seeds in the shell. I think I am craving the salt on them.

OR another day one chicken thigh for breakfast and a 5 oz burger patty with one OZ of cheese for dinner. IT really took the weight off but it is getting too close to a starvation way of eating and I do not want this for me. And I am NOT losing more weight on it and working very hard painting the outside of my house by myself .

I rotate around between chicken and burger then throw in some fried or scrambled eggs or sticks of string cheese. OH all nice and melty is wonderful on them. Tonight I NEED to eat and it is already after 8PM and I can not force myself to do so. Last night I ate late and felt sick. I have half a burger patty because that is all that was defrosted and one chicken thigh two OZ of cheese and the small handful of pumpkin seeds for less then 600 calories. Worked all day painting and chores. I was hoping to get my appetite
    going reading about you hungry people. Sorry you are hungry. Sorry I am not.
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am zero carb, so my days are very similar - I tend to eat twice a day and usually have either pork, lamb or steak, occasionally I will have fish but I mostly stick to meat - if I am more hungry or fancy snacks I will eat pork rinds or cheese and I drink coffee with double cream (heavy whipping cream), I do occasionally have eggs - when I am fully on track I feel amazing doing this as veggies and fruit tends to give me stomach distress
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It's starting to get chilly here overnight, so hot tea with a bit of hwc is definitely becoming my dessert after dinner!
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    I discovered why I was having such a hard time eating the day I posted here. I turned up flue like sick the next day. Doing ok or much better now but dropped four pounds almost over night. I actually hope it comes back as it usually does. I am way thin enough. Words I never thought I would hear coming out of my mouth. Even so I do not want to stop eating this way as I LOVE no longer being hungry all the time.

tcunbeliever the tea with HWC sounds wonderful. I will have to get some HWC and try it.