Body Weight Strength Training Results

Options
Adc7225
Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
I lost weight but thought I needed to build some strength and started doing body weight training a few years ago and I believe that with the cardio and my diet I did see some results. Fast Forward from 44 to 49 and I just don't seem to know what to do. I recently started back to doing Sworkit workouts and though I can feel myself getting stronger I don't see any difference in my body or on the scale.

How do you stay motivated to keep strength training before seeing any results? Do you set a time frame or just do it and hope for the best? I am currently doing a 6 week workout plan and can see were I have improved (meaning I can keep up with the workouts ;) ) but I just don't want to spend my energy doing something that won't get me the results I want - a strong, fit body . . . for a 49 year old :)

Replies

• Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to do workouts that I can't quite get through so I can work on accomplishing them. I like how you put it: can keep up with. Once I can keep up with a workout then I know it's time to make it harder or move on. Accomplishing each challenge I give myself is my motivation. Cause darn-it being 48 y.o. will not define me, I will define me.

Sometimes making things harder is something as simple as going up a pound when doing weights or doing what you do but in slow motion or adding an HIIT session to your cardio. Or just picking a routine that you haven't done in the past couple years or ever.

:)
  • PWHF
    PWHF Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    44 here - doing a very specific recomping program involving heavy lifting, not too much but intense cardio (circuits, kettlebells, burpees, HIIT) and really watching macros every day. High protein, enough carbs and low fat - all clean. I measure body fat % and lean body mass vs fat mass rather than what the scales say. As a woman you probably don't want to get all big and ripped but you can definitely see results from weight training without turning into the lady from the Terminator movies.

I see people doing this through their 50s and well into their 60s so we're still young. I've been spinning my wheels for decades now trying to get rid of a beer belly doing a lot of cardio and not watching what I eat. All I got from that was skinny fat

For the last few months I've been recomping and dropped 3% body fat while putting on muscle. I can see my side abs and have punched 2 extra holes in my belt. I linked the guy's article but the ladies one is here if you want to try recomping.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hi there! 46 here. Body weight exercises are my main focus exercise, because you can practically do them anywhere. Pushups, situps, and squats are my faves. I like to mix in some mountain biking and hiking with a little free weights too.

Good luck and keep up the hard work!