Low Carb Soups! :)

Options
The weather is cooling down here and for me that means SOUP WEATHER! Please share with me your favorite low carb soup recipes :)

Replies

• lolliopopsnrainbows
    Options
    <3<3<3<3<3

@KetoZombies I am literally salivating at the thought of that!! Do you find the beef stays mixed in ok or does it tend to sink? I'm wondering if I should consider blending some or most of the beef?

Also, silly question for someone from the UK..... what is the UK equivalent of heavy whipping cream?
  • mrslmartin1001
    mrslmartin1001 Posts: 23 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My FAVORITE and go to soup is Queso Soup --

Ingredients
    1 lb ground beef
    ½ onion, chopped
    6 oz cream cheese
    2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilis
    ½ cup heavy whipping cream
    2½ cups beef broth
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
    Brown ground beef and onions together then drain.
    In a large saucepan add ground beef and cream cheese.
    With a spoon mash the cream cheese into the ground beef so that it will combine smoothly as it melts.
    Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
    Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
    You can also add shredded cheese and sour cream to each bowl of soup.

http://kaseytrenum.com/queso-soup-keto-friendly-low-carb/

This sounds AMAZING!! I think I will make this with only 1 can of rotel in order to cut a few more carbs out and also use my own taco seasoning! I make Taco season to cut out all the sodium and msg and added carbs!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Love soups myself as well....Basically had a very close version of this soup last night without the cream cheese and heavy whipping cream.

We added sour cream and shredded cheese to taste.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    This is my all time favorite... I sub in cauliflower instead of potatoes and I do NOT make it one pot as I find it way too greasy. http://www.momontimeout.com/2017/01/one-pot-olive-garden-zuppa-toscana-soup-recipe/
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks @kimberwolf71 and @KetoZombies. Both of those look delicious and have everyday ingredients. I've printed both. :) Both DH and I are wintertime soup lovers.

I don't have a specific recipe to share but some readers may like to look up Brat Stew for ideas and replace the potatoes with cauliflower. Brat Stew is generally cooked bacon, onions, celery, carrots (maybe), cheese, cream cheese, half and half (or HWC), broth, beer and cooked Brats.

N'er mind. I've not made this specific one but it is very similar:

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/smoked-sausage-cheddar-beer-soup-low-carb-gluten-free/
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Love the Zuppa Toscana too.....I just left out the potatoes and added extra kale because my daughter loves it!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of soup in the winter months too and it is almost always part of my food prep/work lunches.... Another quick and easy is Cheesy Cauliflower or Broccoli... I cook the desired veggie in chicken broth, when tender I add in 8 oz of cubed cream cheese. Once melted I put in the immersion blender until desired consistency. Sometimes I add onion or garlic or some shredded cheddar, but sometimes not.

The cream cheese instead of heavy cream adds a new dimension of flavor.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3<3<3

@KetoZombies I am literally salivating at the thought of that!! Do you find the beef stays mixed in ok or does it tend to sink? I'm wondering if I should consider blending some or most of the beef?

Also, silly question for someone from the UK..... what is the UK equivalent of heavy whipping cream?

Hi, fellow-Uk'er here... double cream, or even extra thick cream. M&S sell both. I skip the middle-man and spoon it straight into my 'Norf 'n' Sahf'....
  • grillinginthenameof
    Options
    My favorite is oxtail stew

Oxtail (approx 2 lbs)
    Yellow onion
    Mushrooms
    Beef stock
    Water
    Tomato paste
    Minced garlic
    Minced ginger
    Rosemary
    Thyme
    Bay leaves
    Salt
    Pepper

Brown oxtails on all sides. Add everything to crock pot, cook on low for 8-10 hours. Sorry for not including measurements of the ingredients. Posting the recipe from memory but there are several low carb oxtail stew recipes online. Tip: oxtail is extremely fatty and will make a very fatty stew. To reduce the fat content of the soup let it sit for a couple hours after it is finished cooking then put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. The fat will rise to the top and solidify and it can be scraped off rather easily. Don't worry, there will still be plenty of fat left in the soup.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping more people will join in on this soup is so good on a cold winter's day.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I don't eat soups very often at all; my favourite is home-made miso, and currently, I'm out of both kelp and bonito flakes, so I haven't had some in a while.... I do get organic miso soup sachets in my local Health-food shop, but I use it as a substitute rather than a replacement. I also used to add the odd occasional sachet if I was ever going to cook Sushi rice.
    I might go back to eating a bit of rice, at one point, now I know it's better eaten as a resistant starch....
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    erika_307 wrote: »
    I love this basic beef vegetable soup in the slow cooker... super easy & really tasty!
    Beef stew meat
    Frozen mixed veggies (carrot, peas, corn, green beans)
    Onion
    Stewed tomatos
    Beef broth
    Just throw it all in and cook on low all day.

Do you have measurements for this recipe? How much stew meat do you use?
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    Options
    <3<3<3<3<3

Hi, fellow-Uk'er here... double cream, or even extra thick cream. M&S sell both. I skip the middle-man and spoon it straight into my 'Norf 'n' Sahf'....

thanks so much Alexandra! I loooooove thick cream and could happily eat a pot in one sitting (especially clotted cream!)

• allunits
    allunits Posts: 95 Member
    Options
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    (I love the dish, too!)