OT: Housing Advice Take 2

Options
Rachel0778
Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
My SO and I started looking at houses in person this week after casually glancing at home listings all summer to get a sense of the market. We found a house we LOVE. Downside, it borders a busy road so even though it has a giant privacy fence you can hear the traffic. You can only hear the traffic outside luckily, not when you're in the house. I think I could live with it, but I'm concerned about resale. I know the only reason this house is in our price range is because of location, but the house is gorgeous and I could walk to work every day. What do you all think? All advice is appreciated!

Replies

• GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    So let's say the house is cheaper by $x because of the location. When you sell it, it will still be cheaper by $x. There will also be fewer potential buyers because of the road noise.

When you get ready to sell it, you can disguise the road noise with a water feature or outside speakers.

Other things to think about. Are you going to want to entertain your back yard, say a BBQ? If it is noisy, that will impact your outdoor social events.

Good luck
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I agree with GoRun2
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    For me, that would be a deal-breaker @Rachel0778 , but that's me. I think you and your SO should think long and hard whether you're compromising your preferences just to make this one work or whether you really can live with the setting. Depending on where you live, there may be some seasonal considerations too. In Western NY where I live, the difference between traffic noise with and without leaves on the trees is pretty significant (though obviously we don't have windows open much in the winter).

Bottom line: just be honest with yourselves as to how much of a detriment (or not) the setting is. Make sure you consider the average 'worst case scenario' in your mulling of that. If after that honest appraisal, if all things considered, it still comes out looking good for you, then I think you have your answer. Likewise if it doesn't.

Good luck; keep us posted!
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    So after thinking long and hard about it, and spending a ridiculous amount of time hanging out in that backyard, we decided that it was a reasonable level, we put in an offer, and they accepted!

We originally viewed the house on the first week of classes (it's near my job at the University) which played into the level of traffic immensely. When school is out over the summer when we'll actually use the yard it will be greatly reduced. And even 1 week after the start of school the noise was much more muted to the point where we barely noticed it! (whoever decided to put that house on the market the first week of classes was insane). And no one is outside during Minnesota winters so that helps too lol.

Pending an inspection the house is ours!
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Rachael. This is a very exciting time for any couple.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, @Rachel0778!
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Congratulations
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,918 Member
    Options
    Gratz!!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, @Rachel0778 ! I'm glad you had a chance to really experience the setting and still came out knowing it was the one. Congratulations!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I was going to ask how long you expect to be in the job? Walking to work is a huge +.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I meant to loop back to your original post but forgot. Our last house had a fairly busy street behind it, and I was worried about resale. (We loved the house/neighborhood and didn't think about this when we bought it.) When we put it on the market nine years later, it sold on the first day for full asking price.

Houses are all about the right buyer at the right time. There will be other folks who value the same things in a home you do, you may just have to wait a bit until they're looking. And I agree, the ability to walk to work is HUGE.

Hope all goes smoothly with closing!
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    Thank you all! We are really excited! Now we just have to get through the home inspection and we're in the clear!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!