Coconut flour and almond flour

Options
san814
san814 Posts: 22 Member
Are coconut flour and almond flour really OK on this low-carb high-fat diet? If so which one is better?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Yes. As to which one is better...well, that depends on which one tastes better to you. Both are expensive, but coconut flour is usually less expensive. Additionally both kinds of flour have their own pros and cons. Coconut flour is NOT a 1:1 replacement for regular flour. It tends to soak up liquid like crazy so you often have to use less of it...either that or add more liquid/eggs to your recipe. Coconut flour is higher in carbs and fiber than almond flour. Almond flour can make a recipe turn out more dry and crumbly than you intended it to so definitely play around with them both. I have and use both in my kitchen all the time but they are not the only flours I use. I also use walnut meal, and hazelnut meal, sometimes a combination of all 3 nut flours, protein isolate powder, wheat protein isolate powder 5000, wheat protein isolate powder 8000, sometimes a combination of protein powder and WPI 5000, oat fiber, lupin flour, sometimes a combination of almond flour and protein powder... i kind of varies from recipe to recipe with me.

Great tips - thanks!
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Yes. As to which one is better...well, that depends on which one tastes better to you. Both are expensive, but coconut flour is usually less expensive. Additionally both kinds of flour have their own pros and cons. Coconut flour is NOT a 1:1 replacement for regular flour. It tends to soak up liquid like crazy so you often have to use less of it...either that or add more liquid/eggs to your recipe. Coconut flour is higher in carbs and fiber than almond flour. Almond flour can make a recipe turn out more dry and crumbly than you intended it to so definitely play around with them both. I have and use both in my kitchen all the time but they are not the only flours I use. I also use walnut meal, and hazelnut meal, sometimes a combination of all 3 nut flours, protein isolate powder, wheat protein isolate powder 5000, wheat protein isolate powder 8000, sometimes a combination of protein powder and WPI 5000, oat fiber, lupin flour, sometimes a combination of almond flour and protein powder... i kind of varies from recipe to recipe with me.

This!!! Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet, do you use a substitute for baking powder (looking to avoid the carbs from corn starch :s), and does the amount vary depending on the mixture of almond and coconut flour?

Thx!
  • Liadin123
    Liadin123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It might be just me, but I find if I consume more than 1 or 2 things with Coconut or Almond flour in a week, I'll see weight gain or stall. So I'm pretty careful with them and tend to choose my "baked" goods wisely and sparingly. One: it triggers weight gain and Two: baked goods can trigger the need for more "sweet" things. That's just me though, not sure if others have that experience.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I used almond flour as a sub for graham flour in cheesecake crust and it works great, plus comes out of the oven with a nice toasted flavor that I totally love.

I have not liked the flavor of anything I have made with coconut flour, but that's probably just a personal preference thing.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I use coconut flour but it is mainly because I have a son with tree nut allergies.

I also mix in flax meal and protein powders in all of my baking. Often chia and hemp too... and LOTS of eggs.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I use coconut flour but it is mainly because I have a son with tree nut allergies.

I also mix in flax meal and protein powders in all of my baking. Often chia and hemp too... and LOTS of eggs.

Oh yes, flax meal is definitely one of the many tools in my arsenal too! ;)
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @ladipoet, do you use a substitute for baking powder (looking to avoid the carbs from corn starch :s), and does the amount vary depending on the mixture of almond and coconut flour?

Thx!

@RalfLott ...I do not use a substitute for baking powder or baking soda; however, for what it's worth any ingredient that acts as a "thickener" (even low carb thickeners) will add carbs in some form or other (guar gum, xanthan gum, konjac glucommanan powder, inulin powder, psyllium husk powder, etc.). I'm sure the amount probably does vary depending on the flour mixture you are using; however, I can't speak to knowing what ratios apply here off the top of my head.