Half n Half for Heavy Whipping Cream

Options
Can you substitute half-and-half for heavy whipping cream when it calls for it in recipes? Sometimes I have half and half on hand more often than I do heavy whipping cream. Have you found success in doing so? And if so what recipes are items okay to substitute it with? Thank you

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    half and half is half milk, half cream - so it should sub with full cream easily in just about anything where the whipping cream isn't expected to actually be whipped into whipped cream
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I think half n half is usually around 18% and whipping cream is usually around 35%, if I remember correctly.... Could be wrong though, maybe they are just differently named here.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Different use but I replace HWC with half and half just fine cutting calories in the process and can not tell the difference in the taste of my coffee/coconut oil first cup of the day. I think in cooking one can just try and and learn the results.
  • SalsaDiva123
    SalsaDiva123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I accidently used half and half (10% in Canada) for whipping cream in an Diet Doctor eggplant au gratin recipe is turned out fine, maybe not as creamy. Whipping cream is 35%, heavy cream is 18%. Yesterday I added eggs to that recipe and it's great, kind of a crustless quiche. Experiment!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Generally in a recipe you'll be fine. Texture and consistency may be slightly slackened when you use half and have instead of heavy cream. However, you likely won't notice much taste difference. The fat content is significantly different though.

Half-and-half contains 12 percent fat
    Light cream contains 20 percent fat
    Whipping cream contains 35 percent fat
    Heavy cream contains 38 percent fat
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I tried it in sugar-free Jell-O pudding and my stomach felt off when I made it. Could that just be an adjustment or do you think that really needs the heavy whipping cream?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I tried it in sugar-free Jell-O pudding and my stomach felt off when I made it. Could that just be an adjustment or do you think that really needs the heavy whipping cream?

@xosummerrainxo - I got crazy cravings when I tried to use the half and half. Apparently the natural milk sugars that are in milk are too much for me, personally... Also, look for ingredients other than cream. Carrageenan is an emulsifier that is not good for us, but apparently, manufacturers found that many folks assumed that when milk naturally separated that it meant it had gone bad, and so they added emulsifiers and thickeners to prevent this. The higher quality and/or organics tend not to have this, so it's worth a check on your label.