Calling all Keto bakers! Help! Pumpkin spice Keto cookies?

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
We have some evil pumpkin spice snickerdoodles at the house and they are taunting me... so I'm going to attempt to make a Keto version. Wish me luck!
I'm converting a tried and true non-Keto recipe that calls for 2 cups of real flour and 3/4 cup came sugar. My plan is to use 1.75 cups of almond flour and 1/4 cup coconut flour. (And replace sugar with Swerve @ 1:1 ratio). I'm going to increase my baking soda by 25% and add some xanthangum to try to reduce the crumbly nature of the flour mix.
Does this sound plausible?

Replies

• EryOaker
    Options
    It's happening!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    njodvb9csjwm.jpg
  • Bumblebee704
    Bumblebee704 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They look good, how did they turn out?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Who cares - ?! Pass 'em round!! :D
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    We have some evil pumpkin spice snickerdoodles at the house and they are taunting me... so I'm going to attempt to make a Keto version. Wish me luck!
    I'm converting a tried and true non-Keto recipe that calls for 2 cups of real flour and 3/4 cup came sugar. My plan is to use 1.75 cups of almond flour and 1/4 cup coconut flour. (And replace sugar with Swerve @ 1:1 ratio). I'm going to increase my baking soda by 25% and add some xanthangum to try to reduce the crumbly nature of the flour mix.
    Does this sound plausible?

How did they come out? Please post recipe.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yes...I'd love to know as well....My husband loves snickerdoodles.....and pumpkin pie....Might be a good treat for him!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    This is a muffin recipe, and it is very tasty. We don't do cookies but a muffin can be breakfast at our house. You might get some more inspiration from the ingredients list for your cookies.

http://www.ruled.me/mini-pumpkin-spice-muffins/
  • EryOaker
    Options
    They turned out amazing! Next time I'm going to try swapping butter for the coconut oil and maybe adding some cream cheese.

Here's my recipe:
    Oven at 350, line your cookie sheets with parchment

Mix 1/2 cup softened butter, 3/4 cup swerve, 1 egg, and 1/2 cup pumpkin purée and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Set aside.

Mix in a separate bowl: 1 3/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp xanthum gum or gaurgum, and 1/2 tsp salt.

Add wet to dry, and mix just until blended. Put mix in the fridge for 10 minutes (this is a preference and not a make-or-break. I find it makes dough easier to handle). While dough is chilling, make your cinnamon-sugar coating (mix 1/2 cup Swerve with 1.5 tsp cinnamon.

Make your balls! I use a small cookie scooper, it's roughly two tablespoons in size. Roll the scoop of dough in your hand and then roll/toss it in the coating. Place on the parchment and press it down till it is about a half inch flat cookie. The coating will taste too intense before the cookie is cooked (like if you eat one raw.... not admitting that I did.....) but trust me, it is important after baking!!! It makes the cookie! I baked mine for 15-17 min. The 15 minute cookie has better flavor but was softer and more apt to breaking. The 17 min cookie had a dryer texture and stayed together easier, but lost some of the signature pumpkin flavor. Pick your lesser evil.

Let cool and EAT COOKIES!!!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Just to confirm, do you mean one 3/4 cup of almond flour, or one and 3/4 cup (nearly 2)?
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Just to confirm, do you mean one 3/4 cup of almond flour, or one and 3/4 cup (nearly 2)?

1.75 cups
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    @CRZYFTM ^^ Ta muchly!^^
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    They turned out amazing! Next time I'm going to try swapping butter for the coconut oil and maybe adding some cream cheese.

Here's my recipe:
    Oven at 350, line your cookie sheets with parchment

Mix 1/2 cup softened butter, 3/4 cup swerve, 1 egg, and 1/2 cup pumpkin purée and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Set aside.

Mix in a separate bowl: 1 3/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp xanthum gum or gaurgum, and 1/2 tsp salt.

Add wet to dry, and mix just until blended. Put mix in the fridge for 10 minutes (this is a preference and not a make-or-break. I find it makes dough easier to handle). While dough is chilling, make your cinnamon-sugar coating (mix 1/2 cup Swerve with 1.5 tsp cinnamon.

Make your balls! I use a small cookie scooper, it's roughly two tablespoons in size. Roll the scoop of dough in your hand and then roll/toss it in the coating. Place on the parchment and press it down till it is about a half inch flat cookie. The coating will taste too intense before the cookie is cooked (like if you eat one raw.... not admitting that I did.....) but trust me, it is important after baking!!! It makes the cookie! I baked mine for 15-17 min. The 15 minute cookie has better flavor but was softer and more apt to breaking. The 17 min cookie had a dryer texture and stayed together easier, but lost some of the signature pumpkin flavor. Pick your lesser evil.

Let cool and EAT COOKIES!!!

@CRZYFTM ...tip for you: try cutting the almond flour by half and adding half vanilla (or pumpkin) flavored whey protein isolate powder. This will do a couple of things for you: (1) make the cookie dough less crumbly; and (2) reduce the total carbs in your recipe. If you use a pumpkin flavored protein powder, it would also probably bump up the pumpkin flavor in the finished result. You can also use Lorann's bakery emulsions - pumpkin flavor, Lorann's Oil - pumpkin flavor, or Capella flavor Drops - Pumpkin pie flavor to increase flavor without adding more by way of carbs.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    There is pumpkin flavored protein powder??? Sweet mother of god. I bet it would be lovely in coffee.... *runs off to search interwebz*
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    There is pumpkin flavored protein powder??? Sweet mother of god. I bet it would be lovely in coffee.... *runs off to search interwebz*

https://tryabouttime.com/products/whey-protein-isolate?variant=44710332110

This brand is expensive so I watch for their sales and then pounce! They sweeten their protein powder isolates with stevia so they tend to be only mildly sweet (i.e. the flavors DO NOT kick you in the mouth they way some do). lol 80-90% of their flavors are available at www.netrition.com for much cheaper! The only couple of flavors I buy directly from them is the Pumpkin Spice Latte and the Orange Creamsicle.