Keto Sweets

MisssG7
MisssG7 Posts: 5 Member
Are there any sweet things I can eat that don't contain sweeteners? I'm allergic to all sweeteners and it's making keto really difficult for me because my sugar addiction is real :(

Sorry if there is a previous thread..

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2017
    Try whipping up some heavy cream with vanilla extract and have some berries with it.
    Mix extract into cream cheese for a cheesecake type treat. Maybe even almond or coconut butter would be good in cream cheese. Or mix in berries.

I will sometimes have 85% or higher dark chocolate. Or an herbal tea. Or both ;)

The need for sweet reduces in time but in my experience it's easiest to squash if you just abstain as much as possible.
    For me, the berries have just enough sweet/sugar to trigger the craving for more.
    I haven't really tried the cream cheese idea exactly so I don't know if that would trigger the cravings or not for me. I actually think it might not because it really had so little natural sugar. I've made something similar with stevia as a dessert to take to parties and it was very good with lemon or lime juice... but I sweetened it and it did make me want more and more. I bet without the sweetener, it wouldn't though.

I seem to be able to have the dark chocolate without a problem. I used to find myself wanting it every night but I think I was still using stevia in my morning coffee at the time. Now that I've been abstaining from sweet consistently, I don't even think about having a sweet food in the evenings like I used to. It's really rare now, and a single dark chocolate is satisfying when I do partake.
    Or the tea like I mentioned. Lately I'm enjoying a cinnamon tea.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    herbal teas are amazingly sweet with nothing added...particularly any of the fruit teas (raspberry and peach are my favorites) and licorice tea...licorice naturally tastes very very sweet
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited September 2017
    My go to sweets are Alyssa's Healthy Vegan bites, Raw Rev Glo bars, and Elan' Paleo Mix Granola Shots (although it contains unrefined maple syrup so I am not sure if by sweeteners you mean things like Stevia, Aspartame, etc.). I think there is a non-veg version of the Alyssa cookies but I am not sure about the nutrition information. I am fairly certain the vegan ones have chicory root and some dried fruit for sweetness. Aside from those I try to find fresh raspberries now and then and add them to cream cheese or something like that. Oh yeah and speaking of tea Hibiscus is my favorite, its more tart than sweet but it will satisfy.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Just wondering how long you have been LC and still having sugar/carb cravings. I too had a sweet tooth but been LC since July 3 and cravings were gone after a week. I have read that using any sweeteners esp artificial ones actually makes the body respond as if sugar was actually ingested. I am not sure if stevia is incl in these studies. Personally when I want a treat, plain Greek yogurt w cinnamon and maybe a few pecans, really works for me. Good luck.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I crave sweets the day after alcohol...that's totally a trigger, even when I stick to LC drinks.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Adkins' bars and Quest bars for me.
  • Libmatos
    Libmatos Posts: 28 Member
    Healthy naturally sweet foods in my diet include: coconut milk by Vitacoco, berries in measured amounts, greek vanilla or lemon yogurt by Chobani, toasted pecans, smooth peanut butter, with a tiny piece 1/2 square of very dark 85% chocolate will help me sleep and these are all great keto foods. Rules for me: no eating out, I cook all my own stuff, no snacks unless equal calories have been burned, no high carb fruits, very limitedcstarches and then only once every 7 days. 6 days full Keto, 1 day small amount of a healthy starch. 1 capful of apple cider vinegar straight, followed by 1 glass of lemon water each night. That cleans my palate, helps the liver burn fats.
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    I make chocolate peanut butter "fat bombs". They totally satisfy my cravings for junk/ sweets even though there isn't any added sugar or sweetener in them. They're easy to make (mix 2 Tbsp softened butter, 2 Tbsp coconut oil, 4 Tbsp peanut butter, and 1 Tbsp cocoa powder. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze). I know it sounds kinda gross, but they are actually really good and very satisfying.
  • MindfulNat
    MindfulNat Posts: 83 Member
    I usually eat a piece or two of 90% dark chocolate ... yum
  • miltbrophy2463
    miltbrophy2463 Posts: 30 Member
    edited September 2017
    Organic Bakers chocolate 100% cacao dripped on a few pecans, berries, or alone on parchment paper in the freezer for a few, done! Not diabetic 4.8 A1C. 1/2 a Quest bar would trigger a need for more of any food. 20 Months in, elimated that c**p. ✌️
  • erika_307 wrote: »
    I make chocolate peanut butter "fat bombs". They totally satisfy my cravings for junk/ sweets even though there isn't any added sugar or sweetener in them. They're easy to make (mix 2 Tbsp softened butter, 2 Tbsp coconut oil, 4 Tbsp peanut butter, and 1 Tbsp cocoa powder. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze). I know it sounds kinda gross, but they are actually really good and very satisfying.

That sounds disgusting yet amazing! I'm trying this just as soon as I've stocked back up on peanut butter!!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    A 90% dark chocolate square topped with cashew butter is one of my favorite desserts!
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Just a tip. I find myself craving grapes and oranges a lot.... it is an intense craving. Someone mentioned to me that this craving may be my body's response to dehydration. Since then, if I have the craving, I first drink a few liters of ice cold water. Then, if the craving continues I'll have some berries. Usually, the water fixes it.
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    Just a tip. I find myself craving grapes and oranges a lot.... it is an intense craving. Someone mentioned to me that this craving may be my body's response to dehydration. Since then, if I have the craving, I first drink a few liters of ice cold water. Then, if the craving continues I'll have some berries. Usually, the water fixes it.

@CRZYFTM - do you know if this holds true for all fruit, or just the super juicy ones? I was a complete fruit monster before starting low carb and still crave fruit sometimes. But I can and do crave every type of fruit under the sun, depending on the day of the week or the way the wind is blowing! I'll definitely give this a go next time though. I usually try to satisfy my craving with cherry tomatoes or cucumber instead, occasionally it works, but more often it doesn't!