Are people around you asking for weight loss advice?

Options
fit_chickx
fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
edited September 2017 in Social Groups
THis is a bit of a rant...I will get over it... :p:p:p

I'm on overload with my neighbors asking for advice. I finally hosted a girls night so we could support each other and talk nutrition/weightloss. I gave out the TDEE calculator.net and Myfitnesspal. app.

I sat back and listened... So much conflicting information between the women sitting and having coffee. Everyone was so opinionated on what works..What they can and can't eat......Many didn't want to hear that this takes work.

Im just burnt out on people asking...

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Not only do I get people asking for advice all the time, you would not believe the amount of people who try to GIVE it!

And you are right, people don't want to hear that it takes work. Especially from someone who had surgery. I had some regain, and I have lost 15 pounds of it so far by re-focusing and getting back on track and doing the work. My coworker got mad at me because I told her apple cider vinegar really won't help her. A couple of days later ACV was old news. She wanted to try IF. A few days later she had a package of M&Ms on her desk because she couldn't wait to eat. But apparently I am not qualified to offer advice, even if she asks for it. It's frustrating, but people only want to hear what they want to hear.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't mind getting asked advice. I know most probably won't take it but that's their loss (or not, lol) I guess. I think people come to me because not only did I lose weight, but I became more fit. I have 6 co-workers who had WLS and everyone is at least 18 months post op. None are near their goal weight. 3 of them look like they didn't even have the surgery. I work for the county transit company so there's maybe 200 employees and we all pretty much know each other. Most of my co-workers are overweight so I seem to be the one everyone talks to about health and fitness now.

I know it can be frustrating with all the different diets and theories out there. People want easy solutions that are easy to impliment. I tell them what I do is simple but takes consistency. It really is a lifestyle change. Ultimately we have to do whatever works for us, to stay HEALTH & HAPPY. <3:)
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    Not only do I get people asking for advice all the time, you would not believe the amount of people who try to GIVE it!

And you are right, people don't want to hear that it takes work. Especially from someone who had surgery. I had some regain, and I have lost 15 pounds of it so far by re-focusing and getting back on track and doing the work. My coworker got mad at me because I told her apple cider vinegar really won't help her. A couple of days later ACV was old news. She wanted to try IF. A few days later she had a package of M&Ms on her desk because she couldn't wait to eat. But apparently I am not qualified to offer advice, even if she asks for it. It's frustrating, but people only want to hear what they want to hear.

Do you want to know what's even more frustrating than that? Is if you offer advice to someone and they don't take it, and you have a PhD in Biochemistry with area of research on metabolic disorders.
    The truth is, we live in a day and age where Google is King. Everyone thinks that every opinion is just as valuable as someone else's... And it may very well be, who knows?
    But when you've spent your entire career studying diet Related Disorders and metabolic disease and people ask for advice and you take time out of your day and then they don't take it it is exceptionally frustrating.
    Now, I try to never never ever ever ever ever never ever. Ever. Give advice to anyone unless they are paying for me to give it. In other words, if they are a student who has paid to be in my courses at the University etc.
    Sometimes, because I really do like people, I will try to offer advice but I always end up kicking myself for it. It's not worth the effort or the time most of the time.