Anyone here train Combat Sports or MA to get in shape?

Options
Brabo_Grip
Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
I dropped 90lbs and am in the best shape of my life with 90% of all my exercise coming through BJJ/MMA training. I loathe traditional gyms. Finding my MMA Gym and giving it a shot, changed my life. Anyone else in here train?

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I started MA with my then 12 yr old son ten years ago. Earned my 3rd degree black belt three years ago and 60 lbs lighter.

Retired from my day job as a Senior Water Qualty Analyst 6 months later and have been working as a manual laborer in lawn maintenance just for fun. (Unfortunately no spare time to continue MA training now.)

No way would I have been able to do this without the conditioning MA gave me. I'll be 58 early in October.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    I started MA with my then 12 yr old son ten years ago. Earned my 3rd degree black belt three years ago and 60 lbs lighter.

Retired from my day job as a Senior Water Qualty Analyst 6 months later and have been working as a manual laborer in lawn maintenance just for fun. (Unfortunately no spare time to continue MA training now.)

No way would I have been able to do this without the conditioning MA gave me. I'll be 58 early in October.

That's awesome D. Thomas! Even though you aren't actively training, you might check out the "Fighting Fit" Group here on MFP. It's a recently started group but growing fast and it is active. Most disciplines and arts are represented. It's a good group with many folks an "upper age" range.

If I may ask, what are did you get your black belt in?

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I practice Taekwondo 4-5 times/week - I would say that the vast majority of my calories are burned that way. Other than walking the dogs, it's my primary form of exercise.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    d_thomas02 wrote: »

That's awesome D. Thomas! Even though you aren't actively training, you might check out the "Fighting Fit" Group here on MFP. It's a recently started group but growing fast and it is active. Most disciplines and arts are represented. It's a good group with many folks an "upper age" range.

If I may ask, what are did you get your black belt in?

Taekwondo
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i did martial arts for around 25 years but it started to bore me. I've been to 3 tkd schools (Black belt in an itf school) 1st kyu in shotokan karate (only didn't get Black belt there because his son took over and changed the system they taught) 5th gup in ichf combat hapkido 5th kyu in koryu uchinadi kenpo jutsu (the style my shotokan school switched too) and attended numerous seminars for Jeff Speakman kenpo 5.0. Kali with Dan inosanto and others. plus one class of capoiera
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @zorbaru I can't imagine martial arts getting boring. To me, it seems like the more I do them, the more there is to work on, and the less bored I get!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i guess I found myself covering the same stuff I've done thousands of times before.

A consequence of starting new schools all the time I guess