Tips on trying to get back here

Options
solska
solska Posts: 348 Member
Hi,

I've been traveling for the greater part of the summer and now just relocated. Didn't put on that much (don't have my stuff yet so haven't weighed, but clothes and rings tell a little). BUT didn't lose any either.

I try everyday to put back on a ketogenic diet, but something also happens everyday... I know I need to get back here and get back to the system... but having a really hard time. This place really helped me get motivated last fall and I lost over 30. Need to lose at least another 30, maybe more. So open to any and all suggestions and advice and new friends, feel free to add me. Thanks!

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Can you skip breakfast and IF till after 1pm? that helps me burn off carbage and feel better. Watch your salt and magnesium intake too. kcko!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I find it easiest to start changes slowly...so for me I might start with a week of just logging everything...then a week of keeping carbs under 150g/day...then a week under 100g/day...then finally getting under 50g/day...taking a month to get back on track is way better than never starting because jumping into it all at once is too overwhelming.
  • SaleenGirl305
    SaleenGirl305 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    In addition to all of the suggestions here, figure out one or two of the high carb things you always eat and find an alternative immediately. For me it was beer which I used to drink every day; and pizza which my husband makes every week. I substituted beer with no-carb vodka/Fresca. And when my husband makes pizza, I scrape the toppings off onto a salad.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

The restaurant exception is that a good Brazilian steakhouse is ALWAYS a treat. In fact, we are going to one Saturday. If you have never been to one, they are heaven on earth. This is the one we are going to - http://www.texasdebrazil.com/locations/texas/addison/

@cstehansen - I second this.....OMG we treated ourselves here on a trip to Denver last month.....best treat ever for a LCHF diet.....
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    @SaleenGirl305 LaCroix has always helped me have a "special" drink in the evenings when I realized I needed to let go of my beer.

@solska I've worked hard to make LCHF a part of my lifestyle which means there are times my carb intake fluctuates. Currently, I'm sitting on about 5lbs of water weight etc that joined me as I added in a few more carbs. I've decided it's time to get back on the weight loss path, as I still have about 20 overall lbs I need to divest myself of. The thing that helps me get back into the swing of things is tracking. TRACK. IT. ALL. sometimes it's validation you're doing well, sometimes it's the 2x4 upside the head you needed to really see what you're putting in your body. I don't cut myself any slack in my log. If it goes in my mouth it goes in my log. Over time I'll back off that but when I need to re-energize, or re-prioritize or re-anything really, it's a good tool.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »

The restaurant exception is that a good Brazilian steakhouse is ALWAYS a treat. In fact, we are going to one Saturday. If you have never been to one, they are heaven on earth. This is the one we are going to - http://www.texasdebrazil.com/locations/texas/addison/

@cstehansen - I second this.....OMG we treated ourselves here on a trip to Denver last month.....best treat ever for a LCHF diet.....

I get to go there this Saturday! WOO HOO!!!!!!
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's no more complicated than "don't eat *kitten*". I don't know why it took me 3 months of eating *kitten* to figure that out.
  • SaleenGirl305
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    @SaleenGirl305 LaCroix has always helped me have a "special" drink in the evenings when I realized I needed to let go of my beer.

@mmultanen Thanks, I've been wanting to try those. I'll buy them next after I use up all the Fresca.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @SaleenGirl305 - I found that I had a sinus response to them LaCroix carbonation, even without adding any sweetener or cream, which is/was my preferred consumption method... So just be aware that even though they are beyond awesome, they may cause a problem. I'm sure I have that reaction to all artificial carbonation (natural, like in Kombucha, didn't give me the same response) and just never noticed before...
  • SaleenGirl305
    Options
    Thanks @KnitOrMiss , I'll watch out for that.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    La Croix puts more than just CO2 in their water, so it may not be the actual carbonation causing the problem, but rather the "essence"

You'd have to find an actual 100% plain seltzer water and try it to know for sure - good luck finding one, they used to be everywhere in my area, but I haven't been able to find one lately, the flavored ones have taken over.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I always got it with soft drinks/sodas, too...but that could be the sugar or additives, too. All I know is it made me sad enough that I gave it up. If I buckle back down to hard numbers, I might add it back in, too.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    What about plain Perrier or San Pellegrino? I love them both! Every Sat. our local grocery store has the 1L bottles on for 97 cents (limit of 4). Hubby & I go in separately and buy 4 each, lol.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. It took me a bit longer to focus a bit more. Moving and living in temporary places not being able to cook etc. it's all hard. But I'm mostly getting back to it. It really matters to me to be able to make my coffee in the morning and to have bread substitutes at hand, low carb wraps do that though I think they aren't as innocent as they claim, and I try to have fat head pizza crust at hand. Life is more than complicated and busy at the moment so if I can avoid finding myself I have nothing to eat so will have to eat whatever situation it works well. Now I need to start eating less so I can start losing again. I have had back and forth with a few pounds though I haven't weighed myself in a while, clothes tell, but I haven't put on any. It's also more than weight loss. I just feel a lot better when I eat low carb. In every way. It's really hard to live with someone who eats junk snacks all the time and will never try to tell me not to get tempted though. Working on it. It helped me a lot to be here daily before. SO that's the first goal now.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    solska wrote: »
    It really matters to me to be able to make my coffee in the morning and to have bread substitutes at hand, low carb wraps do that though I think they aren't as innocent as they claim

Yeah watch out for the low carb wraps. I have them from time to time but don't make them a staple because they tend to stall my weight loss. Maybe when I hit my goal weight I will introduce them a bit more. I seem to tolerate the carb chopper brand and one that Trader Joes used to carry (haven't seen them in months). I don't mind the Paleo wraps but they are expensive. Someone shared picture with enchiladas using deli sliced turkey as the tortilla and I've been using that method which is pretty tasty. As far as eating out it can be done just interrogate the menu and substitute if possible. Salads with chicken are my go to at most restaurants but even places like Red Robin offer low carb options (wedgie burgers, salad, etc.) and most recently Genghis Grill added cabbage instead of a starch add-in. Fast food is a little more limited but most places carry a salad and you can ditch the buns for lettuce on most sandwiches. I try to keep it pretty basic when eating out so I don't get added sugar or some other filler (like IHOP adding pancake batter to their omelets)

I totally understand living with someone who eats junk food. My wife is the biggest vegan junk food junkie. The only thing I can say their is just have will power and it's OK to say no when offered crap food. My wife doesn't even offer any more which is nice and I remind myself how crappy I feel when I used to eat just like her. I focus on the more positive aspects of losing weight and getting in shape and would rather not go back to being winded going up a flight of stairs.