Where did you fail with the overhead press?

13»

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    First missed rep at 85lb. Took 3 attempts.

Then first deload at 95lb. Missed the last two reps of the third set. Very annoying.

I have found that lifting heavy while eating at a deficit IS annoying. Particularity with the OHP. So many fails....
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    I hit 5, 5, 5, 4, 3 today at 37.5kg.

Shaking like a shatting dog!

I can see this is a hard old press to get up there and have some form to get right - I have caught a couple with a teeny knee bounce..and it seems like cheating!

Rolling a 75kg deadlift, 30 squat and I also have a 25kg barbell curl and pullups on these days..

There is no squat rack in the gym, it is poor..I get a touch light headed when popping the bar onto my neck which is also sore.
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    I failed at 70lbs. Besides that, not sure I'm doing it right and my back is killing me.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    First missed rep at 85lb. Took 3 attempts.

Then first deload at 95lb. Missed the last two reps of the third set. Very annoying.

Finally hit 5x5 @ 95lb on Saturday. Started working on 100lb this morning. Hit 4, 4, 3, 3, 2.
  • cmsmj1
    Failed today at 37.5kg 5,5,5,3,3

Second time round to fail on this one - seems like it is not just me though :)

If I do not make the reps on Monday then I guess I'll be deloading the 10% then? so be after 34kg next time?

It was hard to get back onto it as had a break for the holidays..excuses eh?
  • cmsmj1
    double post - oops
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Failed miserably at 40 kg today. Was expecting to fail but didn't even make the first 5 reps. I blame the smashed shoulders from last session. I benched with dumbbells for the first time. Just benched on the cabel machine before. The instability kicked the crap out of my shoulders. Free weights from now on!
  • cmsmj1
    So..I failed today on 37.5kg - oh well..getting better next time..

Managed 5.5.5.3.4 - I feel like I am not balanced in my efforts as my left arm always wants to lock first - I'm not "bumping" the bar up and just relying on a fast initial movement to get it going and then to lock it out.

I'll go back to 32.5 for my next attempt on Monday.
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    I am relative "NEWBIE" myself only been at it about a month or so. Anyway I failed OHP at 70 Lbs.
    at 65 the last 2 reps were shakey.
  • cmsmj1
    I cleared the 32.5 x 5 on Monday - it was noticeable how much easier it was.

Am on with 35 again on friday..see how that goes.

Shaky arms is the way I do it :)