Keto and protein

Options
me0231
me0231 Posts: 218 Member
I'm just about to start keto for the first time and I'm trying to set up my macros.

How much protein are people aiming for? I have PCOS and read it shouldn't be too high to allow for ketosis but I also read Lyle McDonald's book that said the first two weeks should be at 150g.
The keto calculator online gives me 110 for the high end. I've also followed a beginner lifting routine and again suggestions were in the 150g range.

So, I'm confused.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    D'you know, as long as I absolutely limit my carb intake to under 50g, I eat as much protein as my appetite will allow. I eat protein to satiety, and tbh, I have no idea exactly how much I take in. But yeah, it's anything between 100g - 120g/day. about 35% - 45%.

ETA: I try to stick to, or below, 30g of carbs a day (10 - 20%). As I'm maintaining weight now, I take in between 50% - 70% fat... between 50g - 65g....but it varies....

As you can see, adding the percentages gives figures around the 100%... but I'm not really counting accurately any more, for various reasons.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    The Launchpad in the group's announcement area (stickies at the top of the landing page) has many topics of use for a person new to keto/LCHF eating.

Thses topics might interest you especially. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10438750/too-much-protein/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10465462/macros-question-dont-blow-any-tops/p1
  • me0231
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! I'll check out the links.

My goodness, I'm sitting here eating eggs cooked in butter with a healthy dose of smoked salt as well as bacon and I can't quite believe this is what I'm supposed to eat.
  • sasfitter
    sasfitter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started on Sunday and haven't had any real issues so far.... I've read so much I was confused and it took me some time to get started. I decided the heck with it and just jumped in. I used the Macro calculator from https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/ to calculate my numbers. Also please remember to get your fluids and electrolytes or you may experience the Keto flu. The only thing I've experienced so far is an upset stomach (rather more like heart burn) from eating so much fat (the eggs/bacon lunches). It has subsided now as I'm adapting to it. Good luck!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not a heavy lifter. I do have PCOS. I'm not insulin resistant but if you have PCOS you have some sensitivity to insulin and are likely at some point to become resistant. I always aim for more protein because, for a variety of reasons, it's something I can easily not consume enough of. I focus on grams. I find them far more useful than percentages but, you'll find what works best for you. I aim for no more than 35G of carbs daily and that's the largest area of my focus. Post that, I'd really like to get as much protein in as I'm able and usually my stretch goal is 100G of protein daily.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My protein goal is set at 112g, but I consider that a minimum, so going over is fine, getting enough is the challenge.

Go for 110g or 150g, I think either way you are good to go.
  • me0231
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your inputs. I was concerned reading that in pcos too much protein can be converted to glucose to prevent ketosis, but I'm guessing 'too much' is way over what I would typically eat from your replies. I usually get over 100g, but 150g is a challenge, but I'll see how I go with keto.

I do feel a touch off but to be honest it's not unusual for me. I think I'm often hypoglycemic and don't feel quite right, so it would make sense that it's noticeable now as well. I'm really hoping that keto is going to balance things out once I've adapted. Meanwhile chugging water and adding salt, potassium and magnesium with every meal.