How would your fellow swimmers describe you?

Options
loneda
loneda Posts: 103 Member
The pool where I swim has its regulars--same time every day, same lane preferences. I think we learn each other's quirks. If they had to describe my quirks, I think I would be described as the swimmer who is OCD about how her gear is placed on the deck. My kickboard needs to be just so, my pull buoy on top, then paddles, etc. I am not like this about work or home things, just swimming.

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm the slow lady who swims a lot (a lot of days, and a lot longer sessions than others) and has a lopsided look because if the ear pad bandage thing she puts over her left ear but under her swimcap.

I am absolutely forbidden to get water in my left ear by my otolaryngologist so I use a vaseline seal on wax earplug and cover that with custom ear coverings I cut out of women's ultra thin sanitary napkins. Then the swimcap and the goggle strap snug below that ear. So I'm sure I look cockeyed as well as lumpy and lopsided. Yes I'm sure I look laughable , but months later and no infections!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Words I've heard to describe me by others: crazy, inane, "the guy who on swims forever."
    They stopped asking how many laps i do. They just ask how many miles. ;)
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of the mom of my lane. I swim on a Masters team with all ages: from 22 to 72 but for some reason I am in a lane where all my lane mates are 25 or 26 and maybe 1 30 year old. I am 54 so literally, I could be their mom!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    I'm kind of the mom of my lane. I swim on a Masters team with all ages: from 22 to 72 but for some reason I am in a lane where all my lane mates are 25 or 26 and maybe 1 30 year old. I am 54 so literally, I could be their mom!

I'd be in the senior slow lane. I can't do all of the stroke the master swimmers do. Nor do i flip turn. It is too dangerous for me to try learning. I'll end up with another permanent injury if I bump the ledge with my foot. :s
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    One if my Chinese colleagues was swimming in the lane next to me. The next day he told another colleague that I'm a machine in the pool.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Apparently I am 'the one that doesn't splash at all'. There is also a Splashy McSplasherson (he uses fins and whallops the water), Lane Hog and White Cap Man.
    Names are fun in the pool!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm the one in lane 2 muttering to herself. Out loud. Under water and on the kickboard.

Truth be told, I'm usually practicing lines for a play, but I'm sure to those around me I sound like I'm completely insane.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    I'm the slow lady who swims a lot (a lot of days, and a lot longer sessions than others) and has a lopsided look because if the ear pad bandage thing she puts over her left ear but under her swimcap.

I am absolutely forbidden to get water in my left ear by my otolaryngologist so I use a vaseline seal on wax earplug and cover that with custom ear coverings I cut out of women's ultra thin sanitary napkins. Then the swimcap and the goggle strap snug below that ear. So I'm sure I look cockeyed as well as lumpy and lopsided. Yes I'm sure I look laughable , but months later and no infections!

Oh yeah-- my custom ear plugs are hot pink, so there's one young woman with Down syndrome who calls me "pink ears the mermaid". I like that a lot!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what they would say, but I "hope" they would say "she's dedicated and stays in the water longer than most." lol
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    She would be better with more regular attendance (I only make half my masters practises due to work travel).
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    The people in the fast lane? Slow

The people in the slow lane? Faster than me except when she does breaststroke. That has to be the slowest breaststroke going even if she does do that head under water thing..,

The people in the 'splash chat and do a bit of swimming every 5 mins Derby and Joan lane'?: 'a real swimmer' (I quote!)
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    The people in the 'splash chat and do a bit of swimming every 5 mins Derby and Joan lane'?: 'a real swimmer' (I quote!)

Hahah! brilliant name for this lane. :D

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    The people in the fast lane? Slow

The people in the slow lane? Faster than me except when she does breaststroke. That has to be the slowest breaststroke going even if she does do that head under water thing..,

This post makes me wish we had a LOL emoji to select!
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Barracuda, mainly because I have a giant barracuda tattooed on my thigh.
    Or one of the Swede twins, there is a woman that swims at the same time I do and she was super excited when she realized I also wore Swedish goggles.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2km morning swim here! Will do a light pool session later in the day.
    cj34x3exgdkj.jpg