Calorie counting

Options
2»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting has its uses, though I've found that if you get your nutrition dialed in, you don't need to rely on it so much in order to normalize your weight, generally (there are some things that complicate that, but barring those complications...).

I generally recommend that new people track for a while, but don't restrict calories artificially. Switching to high fat makes it feel like we're eating a ton, but that might not actually be the case, so tracking is a good way to recalibrate our sense of amount. This is also useful if you're experimenting with something, so you can see how it fits into your way of eating.

That said, don't feel like you have to track your food. I don't. I can't. It makes me neurotic. So I have other ways to tweak my intake to achieve my goals. For example, I'm toying with a high protein breakfast, after my morning workout, because fasting wasn't really working in combination with my work environment and schedule.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same foods everyday so I only count calories when I’m making a change or coming back from a trip and need to remind / retrain myself. I also use it when I’m doing occasional experiments.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Counting calories seems to be like religion, politics, carbs, and fiber. After a while, most people seem to be pulled into one camp or the other, while a few remain uncommitted. (And don't bring it up around the in-laws! :s)

To me, it seems like another piece of information that might be useful. Calories are notoriously hard to count reliably, due to estimating errors, inaccurate labels, etc., but it's the only game in town.

The scale is king right! If it is going down, why count?

2 reasons

1. We're not, hopefully, always going to be in weight-loss mode.

2, The scale is not king and belongs in a dumpster.

As Butter Bob says, it:s a lyin', cheatin', SOB, not your friend.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1l0415166/scale-why-should-i-dump-thee-let-me-count-the-ways

As far as weight loss goes (not talking about controlling blood sugar), the scale is the last ultimate authority (I guess something that tells you %bf and weight is really the last ultimate authority). Doesn't matter what else calorie counting or any other protocol says if the scale says your gaining weight. If your in maintenance mode, the scale also can tell you if your maintaining or not.

I still disagree that the scale is the "last ultimate authority." The scale is a liar and can't really be trusted on its own.

Consider this -- the scale says I've been slowly gaining weight (outside of water weight fluctuations), but my tape measure and clothes say I've been losing. Which one is the ultimate authority?

The answer: neither, and both. They are data points, and only when you use them both together do you see that your body is undergoing recomposition.

If the scale were the only measurement, you'd only see that weight is going up and you'd think that you're gaining fat (because very few people look at changes in the scale and think anything else as the cause of the gain).

That is why I said that weight & %bf measurement is the king (tape measures included)%. My point is the end goal is the weight & %bf. Counting calories is only a means to get to the end. It isn't the end goal.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I count calories as a matter of habit. I know there are inaccuracies in MFP but I try to keep within a certain range just so I don't overeat. I counted calories for over a year and my weight went up even when I was within my range. So it mattered more what kind of food I was getting my calories from. I reduced my sugar intake considerably and switched from diet soda to water, tea, and coffee and I noticed things start to change but then level off. That is when I decided to reduce my carb intake a lot and up my protein and fiber then I started working out and that is when things really began to change.

I usually tend to eat the same things throughout the month so I set up meals in MFP so entering foods is not that much of a hassle and it just lets me know if I am probably exceeding my net carbs or overall calories. Like I said its a habit and it just makes me aware of what I am eating, its just one more tool that I can use in my weight loss journey.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I did something similar to @xerogs1. I've built a list over time of about 125 items I frequently eat and saved each individually as a "meal" by the ounce/cup/tablespoon. Whatever measure is appropriate. All I have to do is look at the list that appears alphabetically, click the item and enter the amount. Done. It takes only a couple minutes a day. I don't sweat the small stuff like spices/herbs. I've never had to be precise except the year I ate medically therapeutic.

• melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only person who saves their frequent foods as meals, I thought I was a bit weird doing that! Saves me so much time when planning my week. I like to plan a week ahead and try to make sure my weekly calorie total is within goal, if I do that I lose weight at a steady rate even if I do sometimes go a week or two without loss. I'm hoping that by the time I reach my goal weight I'll have enough good habits and hunger control to maintain and not have to count calories for every day.