Chloresterol Through The Roof

Options
Just had a blood test last week and my cholesterol is extremely high. It has always been very low in the past. Is this because of the Keto WOE that I've been doing for 3 months? Below are my results from last week and then 2015 for comparison.

Replies

• damorere
    damorere Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like your total cholesterol is up because your HDL ("good cholesterol") is quite high. Both triglycerides and LDL look good.
  • SaleenGirl305
    SaleenGirl305 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ok I was worried that I was going to have to stop eating cheese and bacon, lol.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I suggest you become familiar with Dave Feldman/ketoDave, you'll feel much better about that blood work once you understand what is going on.

http://cholesterolcode.com/
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    HDL > 120?!?!?! Holy cow. That's the highest I have ever seen. As for the total number, it's not especially concerning.

I recommend reading the following page. There's too much good information on there to cut and paste it.
    http://highsteaks.com/cholesterol/

The tl;dr summary would be overall lowest mortality is associated with numbers between 200 and 240. Going below 200 or over 240 is associated with higher mortality.

Your numbers, despite being over 240, aren't really horrible. It's a one off test. Test again in a few months. I have had one blood draw, ever, that was 250. And the rest of mine are right around 190 +/- 20. My doctor freaked about the 250, until I pointed out that I had total cholesterol numbers (non-fasting even) for nearly every 8 weeks and the 250 was a huge outlier. She waited for a retest 6 months later.

Don't panic. The number is a tad high. But, it's not higher above the upper limit than your original numbers were below the lower limit.
  • SaleenGirl305
    Options
    Thanks @retirehappy and @FIT_Goat , I'll check out those links. Yeah she said HDL>120 was the highest she had seen too. Glad I have such a high number for the good stuff :smile:
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Here's another good, short video for you to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNfjkTyBUdQ

This was the case for me. I'd never had good/correct/perfect cholesterol numbers prior to switching over to a KETO lifestyle and it took be four (4) years to finally get there because what Dr. Stephen Phinney (the guy in the video above) describes what exactly what happened to me because I eliminated such a huge amount of weight (167 pounds over the course of 22.5 months).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Three years in my total cholestrol numbers just when to 300+ after being down to around 280? The doctor is not mention it but wanted me to drop my 155ng Vit D level and 1800 level of B-12.

I still have not decided to what level I am willing to drop my Vit D level. I am doing mega K2 MK4 and K2 MK7 currently by only taking 5000 UI of D3 currently. I have pulled back on several sources of B-12.
  • SaleenGirl305
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I checked out all these links and it makes much more sense. No longer worried :)