Help please

Options
So I am at the end of week 3 and yesterday at 11am I started feeling sick and so dizzy. I had no energy. I had fasted since 7pm the night before. I tried to eat to see if that would help but couldn't stomach anything. All day I was super dizzy and not with it. Is this the 'keto flu' any suggestions greatly appreciated. I had a stock cube with some soy sauce in it last night and took panadol and chugged heaps of water all night . Should I be taking any supplements?

Replies

• aluhsin
    aluhsin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've heard that magnesium helps! Hope you feel better ❤️
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, read the sticky about Keto Flu. There's a lot of good info for alleviating the symptoms in there.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I got some magnesium pills today and more stock cubes and some Himalayan salt. Will see how I go.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Your electrolytes are out of balance. Culprit is usually sodium/potassium. You still need to pay attention to and work at getting in enough sodium/potassium even on days that you fast (ESPECIALLY on days that you fast)! I make sure to dissolve and drink 2 bouillon cubes every day otherwise I really suffer if I don't. lol
  • ironmaidenchick
    Options
    Thanks ladipoet. I feel better today and will definitely be drinking the bouillon everyday. Don't want to feel that crappy again.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Glad you are feeling better @ironmaidenchick! :)
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better @ironmaidenchick - to echo the previous posters, I also highly recommend having a boullion cube in hot water each day. In addition to needing more sodium due to being low carb, it is likely that you've also cut out a lot of ready-made/processed foods which add a LOT of sodium to your diet. So you've started a new way of eating that increases your need for sodium, whilst simultaneously dropping the foods that contain lots of sodium :smiley: Personally, I only supplement with sodium (via bouillion cubes) on a general basis and that's made the world of difference to me! I tend to get my RDA of magnesium most days through food and about 50% of my potassium RDA so I am considering whether I need to add a little "no salt" to my food to bump up the potassium a bit.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think I remember someone mentioning also that if you drink a ton of water that you are basically just flushing out the salt, etc. that you are trying to supplement so it's a wash (literally). Don't overdo the water....Just drink a normal amount or you will need to take in even more sodium, etc.
  • ironmaidenchick
    Options
    Oh thanks for that! I drink sooooo much water as the sodium makes me thirsty lol. Will keep that in mind :-)
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had similar symptoms when I went ketogenic. Was frustrated that few people were talking about the keto flu. In retrospect I think it was really withdrawals. Another issue that came up was salt, are you eating enough of quality sea salt. Persevere it’s worth it.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had similar symptoms when I went ketogenic. Was frustrated that few people were talking about the keto flu. In retrospect I think it was really withdrawals. Another issue that came up was salt, are you eating enough of quality sea salt. Persevere it’s worth it.

I think you made an excellent point. Over and above the Keto flu I am sure many of us went thru curb/sugar withdrawal. Never considered that before. Thanks!

• wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I also has to do a hellof a lot of work on rebuilding my gut biom.
  • gorillababyface
    gorillababyface Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I had the flu issues I ate more fat quickly then added salt
  • ironmaidenchick
    Options
    Yes I definately think it was sugar withdrawal and I have been feeling fine now. My salt intake is where it should be so everything is running along smoothly now.