what causes plateaus?

Options
62apples
62apples Posts: 132 Member
Tell us the things that stop or slow your weight loss.

Such as sugars, starches, and stressful exercise sessions.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I had no plateaus during my 53 weeks of weight loss. Artificial sweeteners do not effect my weight loss. Dairy does not effect my weight loss. Nuts do not effect my weight loss. I realize I am fortunate in that respect as I read over and over that those 3 in particular effect many. I was strong on my belief that eating too much (too many calories) would cause me to not lose weight so I kept to a moderate deficit and the number on the scale continued to drop. I didn't lose the " 2 pounds per week" as planned but averaged 1.25 pounds per week for 53 weeks. And then I was done.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I was stalled by carb creep. Really needed to stick to a low keto carb level, as well as find the calorie deficit that worked for me at the speed I wanted to lose. If I went off track, I stalled.
    Also, I cut out cheese, and nuts due to my inability to limit them.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have been "plateaued" for over 2 years.
    I've stuck to my plan and now that I see the changes my body has made in this time, I don't really believe in plateaus anymore. That is assuming you aren't overeating or have changed anything about how you eat.
    bs2smfui6iy0.jpg
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The things that stall my weight loss are lack of sufficient sleep every night and increased stress. Aside from that, my impaired thyroid function has caused me issues.

Pauses for your body to regroup, recomp, and reacquaint itself to all the changes you've been making are not plateaus, IMHO. They are necessary parts of the process. If you do not continue to feel well, healthy, energized, and functional over a period without recording weight loss on the scale, then something is wrong. However, if the only thing leaving you "out of sorts" is that the scale doesn't move for weeks at a time, it might be time to go back and understand the process...

The body ABSOLUTELY needs those time-outs to function as best it can... In fact, they facilitate long term success.